30.1203, Summer Schools: Research Methods in Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 19:27:48 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1203. Fri Mar 15 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1203, Summer Schools:  Research Methods in Linguistics/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:27:42
From: Raphael Skibka [summerschool at em.uni-frankfurt.de]
Subject: Research Methods in Linguistics/Germany

Research Methods in Linguistics

Host Institution: Goethe University Frankfurt
Website: http://summerschool.uni-frankfurt.de/programme/

Dates: 05-Aug-2019 - 30-Aug-2019
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Hesse, Germany

Focus: Basic Research and Data-oriented Methods.
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

Special Qualifications:
Particularly useful for students of disciplines in which language plays an essential role, such as linguistics, philology, literary studies, media studies, gender studies, ethnology, (foreign) language teaching etc.

Module 1: Basic Research Methods in Linguistics (weeks 1 and 2, 05.08. –
15.08.) Language is an essential feature of all humans that distinguishes us
from all other known species. The study of human languages is not only the
study of a central social skill but it also provides a unique window to the
human mind. In this course students will get an overview of the basic toolkit
in linguistics research: presenting and interpreting linguistic data,
linguistic argumentation, and writing like a linguist. We will analyse
datasets from different areas of linguistics (phonology, morphology, syntax)
and practice interpreting data from languages we do not speak. We will also
discuss how our own introspective judgments and examples in the literature can
be supplemented by working with informants and with small questionnaires. The
course will comprise lectures, group work and problem sets.

Module 2: Data-oriented Methods in Linguistics (weeks 3 and 4, 19.08.-30.08.)
Traditional linguistic research was based on laborious manual data collection,
or, especially in the second half of the 20th century, on the introspective
evaluation of artificially created examples by individual researchers. This
has radically changed with the advent of large electronic resources and the
adaptation or development of statistical and computational tools for
linguistic analysis. This course will focus on methods for collecting and
analysing larger sets of data for linguistic research. We will discuss corpus
and experimental methods to study questions in grammar and language
interpretation, and we will use various techniques from the computational
toolkit of modern linguistics to visualize processes and results. Students
will have the opportunity to work with corpus linguistic and statistical tools
to study language use, language change, and translation. The course will
comprise lectures, group work and problem sets

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Languages: English

Language Families: Indo-European

Tuition: 2100 EUR

Tuition Explanation: Accommodation in dormitory, seminar and cultural programme, the German
language courses, all study material, health, liability and accident insurance
and the transportation fee within Frankfurt

Registration: 14-Mar-2019 to 30-Apr-2019

Contact Person: Raphael Skibka
                Phone: +49 69 798 15098
                Email: summerschool at em.uni-frankfurt.de

Apply on the web: https://www.service4mobility.com/europe/BewerbungServlet?identifier=FRANKFU01&kz_bew_art=IN&kz_bew_pers=S&aust_prog=FSS&sprache=en

Registration Instructions:
– Fill in the online application form

– Once you have created your account in our online application system, you
will be required to upload the following documents:

1. Your updated CV
2. Letter of motivation which includes the reasons why you would like to
participate in Frankfurt Summer School
3. Copy of your higher education certificate or your high school diploma or
equivalent (if you are enrolled at a university in a Bachelor Programme)
4. Transcript of records or list of courses you have completed (if you are
enrolled at a university in your first semester of a Bachelor programme)

Please note that no proof of your proficiency in English is required. However,
your English skills should at least correspond to the B2-level of the Common
European Framework of Reference for Languages in order to follow the academic
courses.

There is no application fee for the Frankfurt Summer School programme.

Selection Process

Your application will be assessed by both the Frankfurt Summer School Manager
and the coordinator of the track you applied for.

Next Steps

You will be required to confirm your participation in the Summer School.

The first step requires the payment of the programme fee. The Goethe
University’s bank is the Landesbank Hessen-Thueringen Girozentrale (Address:
Neue Mainzer Strasse 52-58, DE-60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany). You will
find further details concerning the payment in your letter of admission.

The second step requires you to upload the following documents online in our
application system:

– Picture in passport format
– Proof of payment
– Copy of your passport
– Signed declaration of acceptance

As soon as you have confirmed your participation and paid the fee, we will
send you a letter of confirmation via e-mail (if applicable, required for your
visa application).

Please note that your enrolment can only be, if you have paid the programme
fee via bank transfer and confirmed your participation through the online
application system.