30.1259, Calls: Phonology, Psycholinguistics / Laboratory Phonology (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 19 16:04:43 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1259. Tue Mar 19 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1259, Calls: Phonology, Psycholinguistics / Laboratory Phonology (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:04:35
From: Kip Wilson [kip.labphon at gmail.com]

Full Title: Laboratory Phonology

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-May-2019

Call for papers:

We are calling for high-quality contributions on the topic of ''Prosody and
Speech Processing across Languages and Varieties'' for a Special Collection in
Laboratory Phonology.
Guest editors: Sasha Calhoun, Paul Warren, and Janet Fletcher, with Olcay Turk
and Mengzhu Yan.

As an integral part of spoken language, prosody has been shown to play an
important role in many speech production and perception processes. However,
our knowledge of the role of prosody in speech processing draws on a
relatively narrow range of (mostly closely related) languages. There is an
urgent need for more psycholinguistic research looking at commonalities and
differences in the use of prosodic cues in speech processing across different
languages, and also different varieties of major languages. This special
collection aims to bring together research which advances our understanding of
the role of prosody in speech processing, particularly beyond well-studied
languages. We are especially interested in research on: (i) the role of
prosody in semantic interpretation, including information structure; and (ii)
prosody as an organizational structure for speech production and perception,
including multimodal perspectives.

This special collection was inspired by the ''Workshop on the Processing of
Prosody across Languages and Varieties (ProsLang),'' held in Wellington, New
Zealand in November 2018. The special collection invites contributions from
workshop participants, as well as others working in related areas.

Examples of research topics suitable for this collection include, but are not
limited to, cross-linguistic and cross-varietal commonalities and differences
in:
- the role of prosody in signalling information structure, particularly in the
activation and resolution of contrast and contrastive alternatives
- the integration of prosody and morphosyntactic cues in speech comprehension,
e.g., as cues to information structure
- the role of prosody in the management and interpretation of discourse
- prosodic structure as an organizational frame in speech production or
perception
- links between prosodic structure and multimodal speech cues such as gesture

As a first step, contributors are asked to submit a 1-page abstract to the
guest editors at proslangworkshop at gmail.com. Contributions will be evaluated
based on relevance for the topic of the special issue and overall quality and
contribution to the field. Contributors of accepted abstracts will be invited
to submit a full paper, which will undergo the standard peer review process.
Contributions that do not fulfil the criteria for this special issue can, of
course, still be submitted to Laboratory Phonology.

Timeline:
Deadline for submission of 1-page abstract: 15 May 2019
Invitation for full paper submission: 10 June 2019
Deadline for submission of full paper: 30 November 2019