30.1282, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Duolingo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 20 18:32:06 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1282. Wed Mar 20 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1282, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Duolingo

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:31:43
From: Bozena Pajak [bozena at duolingo.com]
Subject: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Duolingo, Pennsylvania, USA

University or Organization: Duolingo, Inc.
Department: Learning Sciences
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Learning Researcher
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics; Learning & Cognition

Duolingo is looking for a world class researcher in the field of learning and
cognition who can leverage their knowledge and innovative ideas to
revolutionize the Educational Technology industry. You will be able to take
advantage of the Duolingo platform and our vast amount of data to do research
that advances the scientific understanding of learning. Become part of our
collaborative team and increase the real-world impact of your research by
having your ideas and findings inspire what we do next.

Responsibilities:
- Sustain a compelling research program that’s both theoretically interesting
and potentially applicable to Duolingo in the future
- Use Duolingo data to gain insights into the learning process
- Conduct behavioral experiments with our users or by recruiting participants
elsewhere (e.g., on Mechanical Turk)
- If applicable, use computational modeling techniques to understand how
people learn
- Present and publish your work in top conferences and journals

Requirements:
- PhD in learning sciences, cognitive psychology, (psycho)linguistics, applied
linguistics, or a related field
- Postdoctoral researcher or faculty member at a research university
- Research expertise and strong publication record in learning sciences (e.g.,
language learning, child language acquisition, learning and memory, category
learning, etc.)
- Excellent skills in experimental design and quantitative data analysis
(including programming in languages such as R, Python, SQL, etc.)
- Good analytical thinking skills and ability to apply research insights to
product development
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- A desire to make the world a better place through technology
Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA

Here are some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries and generous equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 20 days of paid time off
- 401(k) with generous match
- Flexible hours

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

--

Duolingo is an innovative, fun language learning company with top engineers,
designers, marketers, linguists, and business people driven by a mission to

2018: Inc. Best Places to Work
2018: Entrepreneur Top Company Culture List
2018, 2017, 2013: Fast Company The World's Most Innovative Companies

Web Address for Applications: https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/duolingocom/view/P_AAAAAADAAGeG8NJ8Euvxqj
Contact Information:
	Bozena Pajak
	Email: bozena at duolingo.com