30.1302, Staff Letter: Becca Morris

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 21 17:25:50 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1302. Thu Mar 21 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1302, Staff Letter: Becca Morris

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 13:23:42
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Becca Morris

 Dear LINGUIST List readers,

My name is Becca Morris and I am the Managing Editor here at LINGUIST List
(LL) and I am also responsible for Finances, posting jobs, and creating social
media boosts. We may have met via email, or you may remember my staff letter
from last year.

It has been almost a year since I started at LINGUIST List and it has truly
been a wonderful experience and opportunity. I am now a second year PhD
student in Computational Linguistics at Indiana University and I would not
have been able to continue if I hadn’t gotten my graduate assistantship job at
LL – I came to IU as an out-of-state unfunded MA student. By employing
graduate students The LINGUIST List is providing us the means to contribute to
our field in an impactful way, while at the same time they are helping us
tremendously.

Since my staff letter last year, I have become a second year PhD student and I
am now working on Universal Dependencies and Dependency Parsing for Hakha Chin
(as mentioned in my blog post
https://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/creating-resources-for-under-represented-languages-hakha-chin/)
at IU. I am also minoring in Informatics. I expect to finish my qualifying exams by the end
of Fall 2019 and then become a candidate. In my spare time, which there is not a lot of
as a graduate student, I am teaching myself Swedish and would like to work with this
language in the future.

LINGUIST List has not only allowed me to excel academically but also
personally. This past year has been a rather transformative year for me and I
don’t think I would have been able to do it had it not been for LL supporting
me. I was able to find myself, personally and academically, this year and I
will forever be grateful to The LINGUIST List for helping me along this
journey.

Working at LL has taught me many things, for example, how to make valuable
connections with notable people in our field and how to become better at time
management and these are valuable skills that I will use throughout my career.
This job also allows the editors and programmers to see what is going on in
our field and provides us the opportunity to contribute to academia in a
meaningful way.

LINGUIST List provides our field with vital resources and we couldn’t do it
without your support. When you support The LINGUIST List you are not just
supporting the editors and the programmers but also the linguistics community
as a whole. Next year LL will turn 30 and we couldn’t have done it without
your support.

Thank you again for all of your support, everyone here at LINGUIST List is
forever grateful to all of you. If would like to help us to continue providing
resources to the linguistic community please visit our fund drive page and

Tack så mycket!

Sincerely,
Becca Morris
Managing Editor