30.1325, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology/Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 24 10:01:14 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1325. Sun Mar 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1325, Calls: Phonetics, Phonology/Italy

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 06:00:12
From: Stefan Baumann [stefan.baumann at uni-koeln.de]
Subject: Prominence between Cognitive Functions and Linguistic Structures

Full Title: Prominence between Cognitive Functions and Linguistic Structures
Short Title: COFLIS

Date: 20-Jun-2019 - 20-Jun-2019
Location: Bari (Università di Bari, Dpt. Sc. della Formazione), Italy
Contact Person: Francesco Cangemi
Meeting Email: pape-coflis at uni-koeln.de
Web Site: http://ifl.phil-fak.uni-koeln.de/coflis.html

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology

Call Deadline: 14-Apr-2019

Meeting Description:

We would like to announce a workshop on ''Prominence between Cognitive
Functions and Linguistic Structures'' (COFLIS), which is a satellite of PaPE
2019 and will be held immediately after PaPE on 20 June 2019 in Bari, a
two-hour train ride from the venue of the main conference (Lecce).

In this workshop, we capitalise on several decades of research on prosodic
prominence to unravel the key components of the notion of prominence. By
exploring the contribution of the signal, of meaning and of linguistic
structure to the definition of prominence, and by relating prominence to basic
cognitive concepts such as chunking and attention, we aim to provide a renewed
understanding of prominence. The workshop will feature four invited talks,
covering the measurable, structural and functional components of prominence.
Rather than share new experimental evidence, invited speakers will be asked to
focus on the theoretical implications of their use of prominence in their
research. Invited talks will be complemented by regularly submitted and
peer-reviewed submissions for poster presentations on prominence in phonetics
and phonology. Submissions emphasising the challenges in defining and using
the notion of prominence will be particularly welcome.

Invited Speakers:

Jason Bishop (City University of New York)
Mark Ellison (Australian National University)
Fabio Tamburini (University of Bologna)
Kai Vogeley (University Hospital Cologne)

2nd Call for Papers:

We are happy to announce a deadline extension for the workshop ''Prominence
between Cognitive Functions and Linguistic Structures'' (COFLIS,
http://ifl.phil-fak.uni-koeln.de/coflis.html ).

Invited talks will be complemented by regularly submitted and peer-reviewed
submissions for poster presentations on prominence in phonetics and phonology.
Submissions for poster presentations will be open until Sunday April 14 23:59
(UTC-12). Abstracts emphasising the challenges in defining and using the
notion of prominence will be particularly welcome.

For submission information visit:
http://ifl.phil-fak.uni-koeln.de/index.php?id=39391

We look forward to welcoming you in Bari. Participation is free of charge.

Francesco Cangemi, Stefan Baumann, Michelina Savino and Martine Grice