30.1365, FYI: Join us for the Annual Celebration of the Library Lecture at the New York Academy of Medicine

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 28 02:45:51 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1365. Wed Mar 27 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1365, FYI: Join us for the Annual Celebration of the Library Lecture at the New York Academy of Medicine

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 22:45:38
From: Carrie Levinson [culturalevents at nyam.org]

Please join us at the Academy on Thursday, April 11 at 6pm for our Annual
Celebration of the Library lecture, "How the Voice Made Us Human," given by
John Colapinto.

Although other animals communicate vocally, they can’t sculpt the sounds into
language. Our amazing, naturally-selected control over our breathing, our
vocal cords, and our lips and tongue—resulting in the ability to communicate
with spoken language—is what made a scattered band of small, biped primates in
sub-Saharan Africa the dominant species on Earth. The theory of universal
grammar, which sees language as a phenomenon that evolved for thought rather
than communication, virtually erases the role of voice and speech in our
evolution. In this talk, journalist and author John Colapinto will discuss his
new book, which explains why this role is so important. All attendees are
invited to a reception with the speaker after the event. Light refreshments
will be served.

John Colapinto is a staff writer at The New Yorker and was previously a
contributing editor at Rolling Stone, where he won a 1998 National Magazine
Award for a story about a boy who underwent a sex change in infancy. This
story became the bestselling book, “As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised
as a Girl.” His articles have also appeared in Vanity Fair, Esquire,
Mademoiselle, and Us Weekly. His novel, “About the Author,” was nominated for
an International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award.

The lecture is free, but please register in advance here:
https://bit.ly/2OjlYwN. The New York Academy of Medicine is located at 1216
Fifth Ave. in Manhattan.

We hope to see you there for what promises to be a wonderful evening!

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Historical Linguistics