30.1379, Calls: General Linguistics, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax/Spain

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 28 03:05:27 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1379. Wed Mar 27 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1379, Calls: General Linguistics, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax/Spain

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 23:05:01
From: Andreas Trotzke [andreas.trotzke at uni-konstanz.de]
Subject: Functional Categories and Expressive Meaning

Full Title: Functional Categories and Expressive Meaning
Short Title: FunExp2019

Date: 09-Sep-2019 - 10-Sep-2019
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact Person: Andreas Trotzke
Meeting Email: andreas.trotzke at uni-konstanz.de

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 15-Jun-2019

Meeting Description:

All in all, our workshop aims at providing new insights into the question to
what extent grammatical reflexes of the expressive dimension of language
exist, and we consider this an innovative enterprise, given that the common
assumption in modern linguistics (still) is that emotions play a marginal or
even no role at all when we look at the human language faculty from a
syntactic perspective.

This workshop is part of the funded research project ''The interpretation of
functional categories'' (FFI2017-82547-P)

Confirmed Speakers:

Elena Castroviejo (Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea)
Silvio Cruschina (University of Helsinki)
Anastasia Giannakidou (University of Chicago)
Jessica Rett (UCLA)

Organizers:
Andreas Trotzke & Xavier Villalba

Call for Papers:

Submission Guidelines:

We invite submissions of anonymous abstracts for 30-minute talks (20
presentation + 10 discussion). Submissions should not exceed two A4 pages
(incl. references + examples), 12pt. single spaced, with 2.5cm (= one-inch)
margins on all sides. Either PDF or Word format is accepted. Please upload
your abstracts at:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=funexp2019

by the deadline listed below.

Submission deadline: June 15, 2019
Notification: July 1, 2019
Workshop: September 9-10, 2019

We invite contributions related (but not limited) to the following three
topics:

1.) Exclamation speech acts have commonly been analyzed as expressing the
attitude and/or emotion of the speaker towards a fact or a degree (Castroviejo
2008; Rett 2011), but the connection of prime examples of this speech act type
(e.g., exclamatives) to so-called expressives (damn, fucking) has not been
developed in full. For instance, do exclamatives share typical properties of
expressives? Should they also be analyzed by means of a multidimensional
semantic framework? Also, many questions that exceptional types of both
exclamatives (Villalba 2003) and exclamations more generally pose for
approaches working with functional categories have not been addressed.

2.) Recent work has connected established syntactic work on information
structure to research on the so-called expressive dimension of language by
investigating their similarities, differences, and interactions (Cruschina
2012; Trotzke 2017). In particular, phenomena like mirative focus or emphatic
fronting raise the more general question if there is a syntactic layer and (a
set of) functional categories that are designated for expressive content
and/or so-called not-at-issue meaning. Another interesting topic is whether
both exclamative clauses and other syntactic means to express mirativity build
on the same functional structure of the left periphery.

3.) Last but not least, we would also like to address fundamental semantic
issues related to the workshop’s topic that have barely been asked from the
perspective of the syntax-semantics interface: For instance, what is the
relation between ‘(non)veridicality’ and emotivity? Recent work has
investigated this question in the context of mood choice and emotive
predicates (Giannakidou 2016), as well as in the domain of complementizers
that carry expressive content (Giannakidou & Yoon 2011).