30.1421, FYI: Call for Participation: Germeval Task 2, 2019

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 30 01:43:28 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1421. Fri Mar 29 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1421, FYI: Call for Participation: Germeval Task 2, 2019

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 21:42:29
From: Melanie Siegel [melanie.siegel at h-da.de]
Subject: Call for Participation: Germeval Task 2, 2019

Dear All,
this is the call to participate in the Shared Task on Identification of
Offensive Language GermEval 2019 (Task 2). We invite everyone from academia
and industry to participate in the Shared Task on the Identification of
Offensive Language for German.

Introduction:

Offensive language is commonly defined as hurtful, derogatory or obscene
comments made by one person to another. This type of language can increasingly
be found on the web. As a consequence many operators of social media websites
no longer manage to manually monitor user posts. Therefore, there is a
pressing demand for methods to automatically identify suspicious posts.
This second shared task on the topic is to intensify research on the
identification of offensive content in German language microposts. Offensive
comments are to be detected from a set of German tweets. We focus on Twitter
since tweets can be regarded as a prototypical type of micropost.
The workshop discussing this year’s edition of this shared task is planned to
be held in conjunction with the Conference on Natural Language Processing
(KONVENS ) in Nürnberg in October 2019.

The training and test data from 2018 serve as example data for subtask I and
subtask II and are available from the website (URL see above). An evaluation
script can be downloaded there as well.
The training data, which are going to be released in April, can be downloaded
after registering with the organizing committee. The task evaluations will
take place in July 2019. For more details please consult the GermEval 2019
Task 2 website.

Tasks:

We offer the two subtasks described below, as in 2018. Additionally, we will
have a third subtask on explicit and implicit offensive language in 2019 that
is also described below.
Participants in this year’s shared task can choose to participate in one, two
or all of the subtasks.

Subtask I — Binary classification
The task is to decide whether a tweet includes some form of offensive language
or not.

Subtask II — Fine-grained classification
In addition to detecting offensive language tweets, we distinguish between
three subcategories:

PROFANITY: usage of profane words, however, the tweet clearly does not want to
insult anyone.
INSULT: unlike PROFANITY the tweet clearly wants to offend someone.
ABUSE: unlike INSULT, the tweet does not just insult a person but represents
the stronger form of abusive language

Subtask III - Classification of explicit and implicit offensive language
In addition to detecting offensive language tweets, we distinguish between two
subcategories:

EXPLICIT: an offensive tweet which directly expresses hate, condemnation,
superiority towards an explicitly or implicitly given target

IMPLICIT:  an offensive tweet where the expression of hate, condemnation,
superiority etc. as directed towards an explicitly or implicitly given target
has to be inferred from the ascription of (hypothesized) target properties
that are insulting, degrading, offending, humiliating etc.

Subtask III is cast as a two-way classification task where a tweet either is
explicit offensive (EXPLICIT) or implicit offensive (IMPLICIT).

Timeline:

March 2019 Call for Participation
April 2019 Release of Training Data
June 2019 Registration Deadline
July 2019 Release of Test Data
August 2019: Submission of System Runs, System Description paper and Survey
August 2019: Feedback on System Description papers
August 2019: Final Submission of System Description papers
October 2019: Workshop co-located with KONVENS-2019

GermEval
GermEval is a series of shared task evaluation campaigns that focus on natural
language processing for the German language. So far, there have been four
iterations of GermEval, each with a different type of task. GermEval shared
tasks have been run informally by self-organized groups of interested
researchers. However, the last shared task as well as the one for 2019 were
endorsed by special interest groups within the German Society for
Computational Linguistics (GSCL). All iterations of GermEval shared tasks held
their concluding workshop in conjunction with either the GSCL or the KONVENS
bi-annual conferences, depending on which of them took place.
For the first time in 2019, there is more than one shared task in Germeval:

GermEval 2019 Task 1 -- Shared task on hierarchical classification of blurbs
GermEval 2019 Task 2 — Shared Task on the Identification of Offensive Language
(this task)

Contact email
iggsa2019 at googlegroups.com

Mailing group
Please join our discussion group at iggsa2019partners at googlegroups.com in
order to receive announcements and participate in discussions.

Best regards,

The GermEval 2019 Task 2 Organizers:
Manfred Klenner (University of Zurich)
Josef Ruppenhofer (Institute for German Language, Mannheim)
Melanie Siegel (Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences)
Julia Maria Struß (University of Applied Sciences Potsdam)
Michael Wiegand (Institut for German Language, Mannheim/Heidelberg University)

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Subject Language(s): German (deu)