30.1886, Calls: Lang Doc, Ling Theories, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 6 03:52:16 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1886. Sun May 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1886, Calls: Lang Doc, Ling Theories, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 23:51:26
From: Ruth Kramer [rtk8 at georgetown.edu]
Subject: Afranaph Project Development Workshop 3

Full Title: Afranaph Project Development Workshop 3
Short Title: APDW3

Date: 13-Dec-2019 - 14-Dec-2019
Location: Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA
Contact Person: Ruth Kramer
Meeting Email: rtk8 at georgetown.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation; Linguistic Theories; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 30-Jun-2019

Meeting Description:

The 3rd Afranaph Project Development Workshop aims to provide a capstone event
for the Afranaph Project (http://www.africananaphora.rutgers.edu/) by bringing
together linguists from Africa, Europe and North America to present their
work. Building an active research community around electronic resources for
the study of African languages has been a major goal of the Afranaph Project,
which recruits native speaker linguist consultants to contribute data in
response to questionnaires that target particular areas of grammar of interest
to theoretical linguistics.  The purpose of APDW-3, to be held at Georgetown
University, is to encourage the development of research that exploits our data
and our database, to consider proposals for new domains of research that suit
our methodology and resources, and to bring together those who have worked on
the project or the languages that are studied in it in order to consider how
best to develop the project over the next several years.

Call for Papers:

We envision a workshop conference involving linguistic theorists, linguists
specializing in comparative African linguistics, and native speaker language
consultants already working with our project (with the understanding that
these are usually overlapping categories). Three sorts of conference
presentations are appropriate to our goals.

A) Proposals for new research topics (NRT) to be developed in collaboration
with Afranaph. See the guidelines for NRT proposals below.
B) Papers on any linguistic topic that in some way exploit our existing
Afranaph resources.
C) Papers that explore topics including the analysis of languages that are
currently covered in posted Afranaph resources

Additionally, there will probably be progress reports from the existing
Afranaph Sister Projects, but these will be by invitation.

Most of the NRT papers will ultimately be invited based on pre-conference
interactions (as described below), but we stress that we are prepared to
consider NRT presentations from researchers we currently do not know, if they
initiate conversations with us about the projects they would like to develop.
Papers that fall into the other two categories will be accepted based on the
result of competitive abstract evaluation (though it does not hurt to contact
us before submitting to test the waters). Approximately 12-14 papers will be
selected for presentation at the workshop in addition to the 2-3 NRT papers.
The NRT presentations will be 45 minutes long with 15 minutes for questions
and the other talks will be 30 minutes long with 10 minutes for questions. We
will also have a poster session as well which will provide an additional 8-10
places, depending on how many submissions are received.

The submission deadline for all abstracts, including NRT abstracts, is June 30
and decisions will be made on or around July 15. The early deadline and quick
turnaround is designed to provide time for those who may need lead time to
acquire visas. Funding is available to support travel and lodging for most
conference participants, but the amounts available may or may not be enough to
fully cover travel and lodging, depending on how many selected participants
are traveling from a considerable distance.

Abstracts should not exceed two pages including examples and references and
must be in 11pt type or larger.  Abstracts may be submitted here:
http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/APDW3

Alternatively, if necessary, you can mail your abstract so it arrives by June
30, 2019 to:
Ruth Kramer
Department of Linguistics
Georgetown University
1421 37th Street NW
Poulton Hall 240
Box 571051
Washington, DC 20057-1051

Our present plan is for the APDW-3 abstracts only to be electronically
published on the Afranaph site, but alternative plans for publication will
also be discussed at the workshop.

More on NRT Abstracts:

NRT presentations should be research proposals that draw attention to
empirical domains relevant to active questions in linguistic investigation.
The topic should also be a good match for our elicitation methodology, our
network of native speaker linguist consultants, and our dissemination
infrastructure (i.e., the website and the database). In the latter regard, NRT
proposals must show thoughtful familiarity with the Afranaph site and
database. Those interested in submitting a proposal of this kind must contact
us well in advance for assistance in formulating their proposal (including
help exploring our resources and their limits). We will consider between 2-3
proposals of this kind for presentation at the conference. After the workshop,
certain NRT proposals will be selected for further development of pilot
projects to be supported by Afranaph.