30.1889, Calls: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Neuroling, Text/Corpus Ling/Macau

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 6 03:54:53 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1889. Sun May 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1889, Calls: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Neuroling, Text/Corpus Ling/Macau

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 23:54:20
From: Michael Zock [michael.zock at lis-lab.fr]
Subject: A.I. at the Crossroads of NLP and Neuroscience

Full Title: A.I. at the Crossroads of NLP and Neuroscience
Short Title: AIxRoads

Date: 10-Aug-2019 - 12-Aug-2019
Location: Macao, Macau
Contact Person: Michael Zock
Meeting Email: michael.zock at lis-lab.fr
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/ijcai-ws928-aixroads/home

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 12-May-2019

Meeting Description:

AIxRoads is a one-day workshop to be held in Macao in August (10/11/12, 2019),
in conjunction with IJCAI (https://ijcai19.org).

The goal of this workshop is to stimulate cross-fertilization between the
different communities of the AI universe (e.g., Mathematicians, Linguists,
Cognitive Scientists, Neuroscientists) in order to identify the knowledge
needed to bridge the gap between Natural and Artificial Intelligence. More
precisely, we would like to discuss whether and how the usage of knowledge
concerning the human brain may enable engineers to produce better software.

2nd Call for Papers:

Extension of Call Deadline: 12-May-2019

AIxRoads is a one-day IJCAI workshop (https://ijcai19.org) to be held in Macao
this summer (August 10/11/12, 2019). For more details, see
(https://easychair.org/cfp/WS-928AIxRoads).

Here are some of the questions for which we would like to find answers:

- Can we get machines to learn as ordinary people do? Children induce rules on
the basis of very few examples, containing even noisy data (few-shot learning
; learning of abstractions). Can we replicate this by a machine?
- How can the learned knowledge be reused for new tasks?
- How to improve the interaction between humans and machines?
- Can knowledge of the brain mechanisms involving intelligence (sound, vision
and language) help us to develop better architectures?
- In what ways can the techniques developed in AI inspire cognitive scientists
to get new ideas/theories, or, to help them to refine existing ones?
- Is there a way for AI to exploit embodied representations?
- How can AI help us to solve problems in other disciplines, for example, NLP?
- Can we make Natural and Artificial Intelligence cooperate in
problem-solving, or, should the two be applied separately?
- If there is an interaction between the two, what should this look like? What
are the interfaces and workflows?
- What are the benefits for AI to mimic humans or the human mind while
processing language?
- Where in the development cycle and how shall AI engineers consider specific
human aspects, such as the human brain/mind?
- Specificities of humans and machines: how relevant is deep learning in
modeling human thought?
- Do we still need theories in the age of deep learning? Are there ways to
interpret their results?
- Is it possible to build a glass box and open the neural network black box?
- What can NLP practitioners learn from network science (complex graphs)?
- Can machines liberate us from the boring and mechanical aspects of
problem-solving (logical proofs), to allow us to focus more on the creative
aspects of the task?
- How to build AI augmenting human intelligence, or, how to use human
intelligence to augment AI?
- Can we impose order and logic on an unordered set of ideas, by detecting the
nature of the links between them automatically, to help authors in producing
coherent texts?

1. Important Dates:

- Submission deadline: May 12, 2019 (11.59 p.m., UTC-12h)
- Notification of acceptance: May 27, 2019
- Camera-ready version due: June 10, 2019
- Workshop date: Aug 10/11/12, 2019 (one out of these three)

2. Contact Information

Michael Zock (e-mail: michael.zock at lis-lab.fr)

For submission information visit:
https://sites.google.com/view/ijcai-ws928-AIxRoads/home/submissions

To be sure to have the most recent information, check with the workshop's
homepage : https://sites.google.com/view/ijcai-ws928-AIxRoads/home