30.2037, Jobs: German; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Instructor, University of Calgary

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue May 14 19:57:33 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2037. Tue May 14 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2037, Jobs: German; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Instructor, University of Calgary

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 15:57:01
From: Katherine Guevara [slllcapp at ucalgary.ca]
Subject: German; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Instructor, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada

University or Organization: University of Calgary
Department: School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures & Cultures
Job Location: Alberta, Canada
Web Address: http://slllc.ucalgary.ca/
Job Title: Instructor of German
Job Rank: Instructor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Required Language(s): German (deu)

The School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures invites
applications for a three-year limited term position in German at the rank of
Instructor. The anticipated start date is August 1, 2019. The area of
specialization is the teaching of German language.

The successful candidate will teach seven undergraduate courses per year
primarily in German language, but also in core courses in Linguistics,
Literature, Culture, or Film, depending on the candidate’s strengths. As part
of the position’s responsibilities, the Instructor will be expected to
coordinate multi-section language courses and to organize extra-curricular
events on campus and within the broader community with the goal of sustaining
a vibrant German program. Service to the School, Faculty and University is
also expected.

The successful candidate must have advanced at least to ABD status in a PhD
program in German Studies or a closely related field. Completion of the PhD is
preferred. Demonstrated evidence of excellence in teaching at the
post-secondary level as well as native or near-native competence in German and
English are required. Teaching excellence can be demonstrated by presenting a
record of relevant teaching experience and effectiveness at the post-secondary
level, evidence of pedagogical innovation, experience in developing
undergraduate curricula, and advising students. Experience in teaching at a
North American university is preferred. The successful candidate will have the
opportunity to collaborate closely with colleagues in other School programs at
the University of Calgary’s Language Research Centre
(http://www.ucalgary.ca/lrc).

The Division of Arabic Language and Muslim Cultures, German Studies, and
Russian Studies is a research-intensive division in the School of Languages,
Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures with high standards in teaching,
research, and community engagement. We value interdisciplinary and
multidisciplinary approaches to research and training, and we strongly
encourage collaboration. For more information about the School, please visit
http://slllc.ucalgary.ca/.

To view the full posting details and to apply, please follow the application
link provided below to our website and click on 'Apply Now'.

The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and
enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and
greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been
historically encountered by some people in our society. All qualified
candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents
will be given priority.

Application Deadline: 13-Jun-2019

Web Address for Applications: https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/4035426-german-instructor-division-of-arabic-language-and-muslim-cultures-german-studies-and-russian-studies
Contact Information: