30.2143, Calls: General Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 22 03:58:53 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2143. Tue May 21 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2143, Calls: General Linguistics/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 23:57:12
From: Andreas Trotzke [andreas.trotzke at uni-konstanz.de]
Subject: Non-canonical Questions in French, German, and Beyond

Full Title: Non-canonical Questions in French, German, and Beyond
Short Title: NCQs2019

Date: 21-Nov-2019 - 22-Nov-2019
Location: Konstanz, Germany
Contact Person: Andreas Trotzke
Meeting Email: andreas.trotzke at uni-konstanz.de
Web Site: http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/trotzke/Website/NCQs2019.html

Call Deadline: 01-Aug-2019

Meeting Description:

The aim of this workshop is to discuss non-canonical questions from a
cross-linguistic perspective, with a focus on French and German. We are
interested in contributions exploring how semantic and pragmatic factors
affect the meaning of interrogative sentences and how modal components and
particularly information structure interact with the speech act of
questioning. By 'non-canonical' questions we mean questions that do not
request information from the addressee in the first place, but rather tell us
something about the speaker's epistemic and/or emotional state (e.g., echo
questions, rhetorical questions, surprise questions).

For instance, non-canonical readings can be triggered by a construction
marking narrow focus in a context where a narrow focus is not expected, by
lexical elements such as modal particles or the non-argumental use of
wh-elements (German was, French qu'est-ce que), or by syntactic strategies
like focus fronting, dislocation, or wh-in-situ.

The focus of this workshop is the comparison between French and German, but we
are also open to submissions that refer to this comparison when investigating
further languages.

Confirmed Speakers:

Jenny Doetjes (Leiden University)
Caroline Féry (Goethe University Frankfurt)
Ur Shlonsky (University of Geneva)

Local Organizers:

Andreas Trotzke
Anna Czypionka

Organizing Board:

Andreas Trotzke
Anna Czypionka
Agnès Celle
Lisa Brunetti

Call for Papers:

We invite submissions of anonymous abstracts for 45-minute talks including
discussion. Submissions should not exceed two pages, 12pt. single spaced, with
2.5cm (= one-inch) margins on all sides. Either PDF or Word format is
accepted. Please upload your abstracts at

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ncqs2019

by the deadline listed below.

Important Dates:

Submission deadline: August 1, 2019