30.2157, Calls: General Linguistics, Historical Linguistics, Phonology/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 23 03:55:59 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2157. Wed May 22 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2157, Calls: General Linguistics, Historical Linguistics, Phonology/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 23:54:44
From: Pavel Iosad [pavel.iosad at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Fourth Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology

Full Title: Fourth Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology

Date: 09-Dec-2019 - 10-Dec-2019
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Pavel Iosad
Meeting Email: eshp-org at mlist.is.ed.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology/eshp4/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Phonology

Call Deadline: 15-Jul-2019

Meeting Description:

What do we need to consider in order to understand the innovation and
propagation of phonological change, and to reconstruct past phonological
states? The Fourth Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology will offer an
opportunity to discuss fundamental questions in historical phonology as well
as specific analyses of historical data.

Call for Papers:

Our plenary speaker is:

- Darya Kavitskaya (University of California, Berkeley)

The invited speaker will address foundational issues in the discipline over
two one-hour slots, one on each day of the symposium, and there will be
considerable time allocated to discussion.

We see historical phonology as the branch of linguistics which links phonology
to the past in any way. Its key concerns are (i) how and why the phonology of
languages changes in diachrony, and (ii) the reconstruction of past synchronic
stages of languages’ phonologies. These are inextricably linked: we need to
understand what the past stages of languages were in order to understand which
changes have occurred, and we need to understand which kinds of changes are
possible and how they are implemented in order to reconstruct past synchronic
stages.

We define phonology, broadly, as that part of language which deals with the
patterning of the units used in speech, and we see historical phonology as an
inherently inter(sub)disciplinary enterprise. In order to understand (i) and
(ii), we need to combine insights from theoretical phonology, phonetics,
sociolinguistics, dialectology, philology, and, no doubt, other areas. We need
to interact with the traditions of scholarship that have grown up around
individual languages and language families and with disciplines like history,
sociology and palaeography.

The kinds of questions that we ask include at least the following:

- Which changes are possible in phonology?
- What is the precise patterning of particular changes in the history of
specific languages?
- How do changes arise and spread through communities?
- Are there characteristics that phonological changes (or particular types of
changes) always show?
- What counts as evidence for change, or for the reconstruction of previous
stages of languages’ phonologies?
- What kinds of factors can motivate or constrain change?
- Are there factors which lead to stability in language, and militate against
change?
- To what extent is phonological change independent of changes that occur at
other levels of the grammar, such as morphology, syntax or semantics?
- What is the relationship between the study of completed phonological changes
and of variation and change in progress?
- What is the relationship between phonological change and (first and second)
language acquisition?
- What types of units and domains, at both segmental and prosodic levels, do
we need in order to capture phonological change?
- How can the results of historical phonology inform phonological theorising?
- How does phonologisation proceed — how do non-phonological pressures come to
be reflected in phonology?
- How can contact between speakers of different languages, or between speakers
of distinct varieties of the same language, lead to phonological change, or to
the creation of new phonological systems?
- How has historical phonology developed as an academic enterprise?

We invite one-page abstracts addressing these, or any other questions relevant
to the symposium topics, by 15 July 2019.

Submission instructions

Please submit your abstracts via EasyAbs. Abstracts should not exceed one A4
or US Letter page with 2.5 cm or 1 inch margins in a 12pt font. The file
should not include any information identifying the author(s). All examples and
references in the abstract should be included on the one single page, but it
is enough, when referring to previous work, to cite ‘Author (Date)’ in the
body of the abstract — you do not need to give the full reference at the end
of the abstract. Please do not submit an abstract if it goes over one page for
any reason — it will be rejected.

To submit an abstract, please visit the EasyAbs submission page at
https://linguistlist.org/easyabs/eshp4