30.4176, Books: Grammatical gender and linguistic complexity I: Di Garbo, Olsson, Wälchli (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 5 15:35:07 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4176. Tue Nov 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4176, Books: Grammatical gender and linguistic complexity I: Di Garbo, Olsson, Wälchli (eds.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 10:34:58
From: Sebastian Nordhoff [Sebastian.Nordhoff at langsci-press.org]

Title: Grammatical gender and linguistic complexity I
Subtitle: General issues and specific studies
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Language Science Press
	   http://langsci-press.org

Book URL: http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/223

Editor: Francesca Di Garbo
Editor: Bruno Olsson
Editor: Bernhard Wälchli

Electronic: ISBN:  9783961101788 Pages: 350 Price: ----  0 Comment: Open Access

Abstract:

The many facets of grammatical gender remain one of the most fruitful areas of
linguistic research, and pose fascinating questions about the origins and
development of complexity in language. The present work is a two-volume
collection of 13 chapters on the topic of grammatical gender seen through the
prism of linguistic complexity. The contributions discuss what counts as
complex and/or simple in grammatical gender systems, whether the distribution
of gender systems across the world’s languages relates to the language ecology
and social history of speech communities. Contributors demonstrate how the
complexity of gender systems can be studied synchronically, both in individual
languages and over large cross-linguistic samples, and diachronically, by
exploring how gender systems change over time. In addition to three chapters
on the theoretical foundations of gender complexity, volume one contains six
chapters on grammatical gender and complexity in individual languages and
language families of Africa, New Guinea, and South Asia.

This volume is complemented by volume two
(http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/237), which consists of three chapters
providing diachronic and typological case studies, followed by a final chapter
discussing old and new theoretical and empirical challenges in the study of
the dynamics of gender complexity.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Historical Linguistics
                     Semantics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=138914