30.4201, Calls: English; General Linguistics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 6 12:34:29 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4201. Wed Nov 06 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4201, Calls: English; General Linguistics/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 07:33:49
From: Wojciech Guz [wguz at o2.pl]
Subject: 29th Annual Conference of the Polish Association for the Study of English

Full Title: 29th Annual Conference of the Polish Association for the Study of English
Short Title: PASE 2020

Date: 25-Jun-2020 - 27-Jun-2020
Location: Lublin, Poland
Contact Person: Wojciech Guz
Meeting Email: pase2020 at kul.lublin.pl

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2020

Meeting Description:

The conference is devoted to studies of English in a variety of approaches,
including linguistics, literature, culture, teaching and translation.

Call for Papers:

INTERSECTIONS:
Linguistic, Literary and Cultural Encounters in English Studies

The Institute of Literary Studies and Institute of Linguistics at the John
Paul II Catholic University of Lublin and the Polish Association for the Study
of English have the honour to invite all scholars working within the area of
English studies to the 29th annual conference of The Polish Association for
the Study of English, which will take place in Lublin on 25-27 June 2020.

In keeping with the growing tendency towards multidimensional approaches to
social and cultural phenomena – and against the current institutional policy
to ‘disciplinise’ studies and research – we propose the theme of intersections
and encounters as a vantage point of reflection on various aspects of English
studies. Intersections connote fruitful interactions and meetings between
diverse cultural phenomena, trends, theories, methodologies or disciplines of
study. But they also open the perspectives on conflicts, discord and
difference, equally important in understanding the social and cultural world.
Faced with the growing globalisation and mobility, cultures, theories and
studies are also bound to intersect – and their intersections merit serious
reflection.

Accordingly, we invite paper proposals addressing – but not limited to – some
of the following topics:

- intersections between linguistics, literature and culture;
- interdisciplinary approaches to cultural/social phenomena;
- mixed methodologies, eclectic theories;
- hybridisation and hybridity in linguistic, literary and cultural studies;
- conflict, clash and struggle;
- fruitful and painful encounters;
- modularity in language and intersections/overlaps within this modularity;
- text as the meeting ground for linguistic, literary and cultural studies;
- the language speaker at the intersection of the language system (langue) and
performance (parole);
- crossover phenomena in English studies;
- intersections of various media; intersections of words and images;
- encounters of texts and authors.
- Apart from these suggestions, we will also be happy to consider proposals on
other current issues in English studies.

We welcome individual papers from all major areas of English studies, ranging
from formal and applied linguistics, through translation studies to cultural
and literary studies. Following the format of the 2019 PASE conference in
Poznań, we also encourage scholars from different academic centres and
disciplines (in Poland and abroad) to put in practice the concept of
intersection by getting together and proposing panels which will consist of at
least three papers.

Individual paper proposals should not exceed 200 words and should be
accompanied by the name, title and institutional affiliation.
Panel proposals should include a short description (200 words) of the topic of
the panel, the title of the panel and the titles of the individual papers; and
for each participant the name, title, institutional affiliation and email
address.

The plenary speakers confirmed to this day include:

PROF. FÁTIMA VIEIRA, UNIVERSITY OF PORTO
PROF. JOHN HARRIS, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON

IMPORTANT DATES:

Deadline for receipt of proposals: 15 January 2020
Notification of acceptance: 30 January 2020

Please send the proposals to: pase2020 at kul.lublin.pl

VENUE:

The conference will be held at the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin,
Al. Racławickie 14, in Lublin.

Details concerning accommodation as well as the conference fee will be
included in the Second Circular (sent out by the end of November).

We look forward to welcoming you all to Lublin.
The organising committee