30.4205, FYI: SCiL 2020 FLT Workshop Mentoring Sessions

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 6 13:57:31 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4205. Wed Nov 06 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4205, FYI: SCiL 2020 FLT Workshop Mentoring Sessions

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 08:56:49
From: Adam Jardine [adam.jardine at rutgers.edu]
Subject: SCiL 2020 FLT Workshop Mentoring Sessions

The organizers of the Society for Computation in Linguistics 2020 Workshop on
FLT in Linguistics
(https://blogs.umass.edu/scil/workshop-on-formal-language-theory-in-linguistic
s/) are calling for mentors and mentees for mentoring sessions that are part
of the NSF-funded workshop.

These are no-strings-attached events in which junior colleague mentees are
paired up with senior mentors to discuss    problems and questions they may
have concerning their future career. This includes but is not limited to
graduate or job applications, work/life balance, developing a career as a
member of an underrepresented group, and/or choosing between careers in
industry or academia.

As the theme of the workshop is FLT/computational linguistics, we also hope
that you can discuss the particulars of working in this subfield: how and
where to publish, the challenges of job searching/promotion/tenure as an
interdisciplinary researcher, and how to communicate your work to
linguists/computer scientists/other computational linguists. We are loosely
modeling these sessions on the successful COSWL PUMP sessions
(https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/coswl-pop-mentoring-program).
Mentors will include workshop organizers and participants.

We are planning three mentoring sessions: one ''virtual'' session before the
conference, one informal gathering (e.g. a lunch or happy hour) during the
conference, and another virtual session in the weeks following the conference.
Participation in one does not necessitate participation in the others.

If you are interested in being a mentee, please fill out the questionnaire
here: https://forms.gle/VfWSK5X4fAkmLod77
If you are interested in serving as a mentor, please email Adam Jardine at
adam.jardine at rutgers.edu.
You are more than welcome to sign up as both a mentee and a mentor!

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics