30.4415, Confs: Computational Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 21 09:51:25 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4415. Thu Nov 21 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4415, Confs: Computational Linguistics/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 04:50:48
From: Fischer Patricia [patricia.fischer at uni-tuebingen.de]
Subject: Workshop on Data-driven Approaches to Parsing and Semantic Composition

Workshop on Data-driven Approaches to Parsing and Semantic Composition
Short Title: DatParSem

Date: 10-Dec-2019 - 11-Dec-2019
Location: Fürstenzimmer, Schloss Hohentübingen, Tübingen, Germany
Contact: Patricia Fischer
Contact Email: parsemcomp at gmail.com
Meeting URL: https://parsingsemcompworkshop.github.io/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Meeting Description:

Topic:

Syntactic parsing assigns structure to phrases. Composition models, on the
other hand, assign meaning vectors to phrases. Parsers are known to benefit
from distributional word representations while composition models can again
profit from (morpho-)syntactic information. Given this interplay of parsing
and composition, we would like to investigate in this workshop whether parsers
and models of distributional semantics can mutually inform each other above
the word level.

Questions of Interest:

- How can distributional representations of phrases be created?
- What kind of semantic and/or syntactic information do these representations
encode?
- What are possible underlying units beyond single words which can be
represented via composition?
- What kind of parsing formalisms benefit composition models for phrases and
what kind of phrase representations benefit parsing?
- Which criteria do corpora have to fulfill to be most suited as a data
resource for distributional methods?
- Do we need semantic composition for (syntactic) parsing?

Invited Talks:

- Bernd Bohnet (Google AI, London)
Linguistic representations in neural network times

- Miryam de Lhoneux (Uppsala University)
Do we need recursive subtree composition in dependency parsing?

- Ellie Pavlick (Brown University)
What should constitute natural language `understanding’?

- Vered Shwartz (Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Seattle)
Not a piece of cake: on lexical composition and implicit information

- Workshop website: https://parsingsemcompworkshop.github.io
- Workshop program:
https://parsingsemcompworkshop.github.io/pdfs/workshopProgram.pdf
- Contact e-mail: parsemcomp at gmail.com (mailto:parsemcomp at gmail.com)

The workshop is free of charge. The workshop dinner will cost ~20-25€.
This workshop will be open to all who are interested. However, since seating
capacity is limited, we would like you to ***register by December 01*** via
our registration form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fLN-EQ_d68cEs_Q31sk4x5caQknMjATVjwKiooIjD1Y/e
dit