30.4417, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus/Romania

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 21 09:53:11 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4417. Thu Nov 21 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4417, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus/Romania

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 04:52:44
From: Olga Spevak [spevak at univ-tlse2.fr]
Subject: Discourse Marker Use: From Production to Comprehension

Full Title: Discourse Marker Use: From Production to Comprehension

Date: 26-Aug-2020 - 29-Aug-2020
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact Person: Liesbeth Degand Maria Josep Cuenca
Meeting Email: liesbeth.degand at uclouvain.be

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 16-Nov-2019

Meeting Description:

In any kind of human communication, be it written, spoken or signed, formal or
informal, computer-mediated or not, Discourse Markers (henceforth DMs) are
part of the game. This ubiquitousness informs us of a crucial inherent aspect
of human language. Yet, despite an impressive quantity of work starting in the
early 1980s, the linguistic description of DMs remains scattered, first and
foremost because it is a very heterogeneous linguistic category, fulfilling
many different functions in discourse (for a recent overview, see Blühdorn,
Foolen & Loureda 2017, Maschler & Schiffrin 2015). To gain deeper insight into
this complex linguistic category, we believe more systematic
(cross-linguistic) work is needed on the production and especially on the
interpretation of DMs in a variety of situational settings, resorting to
different methodological approaches (see, e.g., Crible 2017, Fischer 2014).
Thus, looking at how we use DMs is a crucial step in finding out why we use
them in certain situations and under certain conditions, but also when we do
not, i.e. when DMs are left implicit (cf. Asr & Demberg 2012, Taboada 2009,
Zufferey 2016).

To make progress on these questions, we believe we need to combine this
production perspective with the comprehension perspective, i.e. taking into
account how the presence of DMs affects the addressee’s discourse
comprehension, thus getting better insight into underlying cognitive and
functional principles of human communication.

The aim of this panel is to bring together researchers interested in getting a
firmer grip on Discourse Markers as a linguistic category by investigating the
role that they play in language production and comprehension. We especially
welcome contributions making use of innovative methods –mainly experimental or
corpus based – to tackle DMs from one of the following perspectives:

- Are DMs a trace of the speaker’s production difficulties and/or a signal to
facilitate the addressee’s comprehension?
- Under what contextual circumstances do DMs affect language comprehension?
- What is the impact of genre and register on DM production?
- How do DMs spread through sociolinguistic variation?
- How do second language learners understand and use DMs?
- How can translation help uncover cross-linguistic differences in DM use?

Asr, F.T., & V. Demberg (2012). Implicitness of Discourse Relations. In
Proceedings of COLING 2012: Technical Papers, 2669–84.
Blühdorn, H., A. Foolen, & O. Loureda (2017). Diskursmarker:
Begriffsgeschichte – Theorie – Beschreibung Ein Bibliographischer Überblick.
In H. Blühdorn, A. Deppermann, H. Helmer, & T. Spranz-Fogasy (eds.).
Diskursmarker im Deutschen: Reflexionen Und Analysen.  Göttingen: Verlag für
Gesprächsforschung, 7-47.
Crible, L. (2017). Towards an Operational Category of Discourse Markers: A
Definition and Its Model. In C. Fedriani & A. Sanso (eds.), Discourse Markers,
Pragmatic Markers and Modal Particles: New Perspectives, Amsterdam, John
Benjamins, 101-126.
Fischer, K. (2014). Discourse Markers. In K.P. Schneider & A. Barron (eds.).
Pragmatics of Discourse. Handbooks of Pragmatics, Vol. 3. Boston: De Gruyter
Mouton, 271–94.
Maschler, Y. & D. Schiffrin (2015). Discourse Markers: Language, Meaning, and
Context. In D. Tannen, H. Ehernberger Hamilton, & D. Schiffrin (eds.) The
Handbook of Discourse Analysis, 2nd Edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons,
189-221.
Taboada, M. (2009). Implicit and Explicit Coherence Relations. In J. Renkema
(ed.) Discourse, of Course. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 125-38.
Zufferey, S. (2016). Discourse Connectives across Languages: Factors
Influencing Their Explicit or Implicit Translation. Languages in Contrast 16
(2): 264–279.

Call for Papers:

We invite short abstracts of 300 words. Abstracts should be in an editable
format (.doc/.docx).

Abstracts should be sent to the two workshop organizers:

Maria Josep Cuenca:  Maria.J.Cuenca at uv.es
Liesbeth Degand: Liesbeth.degand at uclouvain.be

The deadline for the submission of the short abstract is November 16, 2019.
Note that if your abstract has been included in the workshop and the workshop
has been accepted, you will also have to prepare a full abstract and submit it
to be reviewed by the SLE scientific committee. The deadline for the
submission of full abstracts is January 15, 2020.