30.3728, Calls: Discourse Analysis/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 3 09:08:44 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3728. Thu Oct 03 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3728, Calls: Discourse Analysis/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 05:07:30
From: Franco Zappettini [franco.zappettini at liverpool.ac.uk]
Subject: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Political Discourse

Full Title: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Political Discourse
Short Title: MAPD 2020

Date: 25-Jun-2020 - 26-Jun-2020
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Dr. Franco Zappettini
Meeting Email: mapd2020 at liverpool.ac.uk
Web Site: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/communication-and-media/events/mapd-2020/

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2019

Meeting Description:

Following on from previous “Political Discourse - Multidisciplinary
Approaches” conferences in London (2016) and Edinburgh (2018), we are pleased
to announce MAPD 2020 (Multidisciplinary Approaches to Political Discourse)
will take place in the Department of Communication and Media at the University
of Liverpool on 25-26 June 2020.

The global political arena is changing at an unprecedented pace. We see the
resurgence of authoritarianism, nativism/nationalism, sovereignism, populism
and far-right movements driving major changes across societies against the
backdrop of increasing global inequalities, left/right fragmentation,
migration. In addition, we witness power plays between well-established and
emerging global players resulting in re-militarization and ‘trade wars’.
Obvious manifestations of these turbulent times include phenomena such as
Brexit; the rise of political actors like Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro, Erdogan,
Salvini  and discursive articulations around hate speech, incivility,
Islamophobia and Euroscepticism.

At the same time, we see an increase in the mediatisation and (re)articulation
of political discourses (both top-down and bottom-up) through the use of
technology and digital platforms.  Along with traditional broadcasting and
reporting of politicians’ speeches, party political broadcasts, campaign
advertisements and government statements, we increasingly experience the
political daily in new popular media forms such as Facebook feeds, promotional
videos, tweets and online mash ups. These transformations require us to think
critically about issues of saturation, manipulation, relations of power,
political correctness, interference, influence, counter-discourses,
subversion, information bubbles and fake news, to name a few.

The theme for this year’s conference reflects our aim to bring together
scholars from a variety of discursive and political approaches to critically
examine the challenges we face in such a volatile landscape and the
theoretical and analytical responses we can provide. We encourage
contributions which explore any aspect of the conference theme of “responding
to new challenges”. These may include (but are not limited to):

- The role of social media and/or popular culture in the production,
distribution and consumption of political discourses
- New theoretical and analytical challenges to the analysis of legitimation
processes in discourse
- The (dis)advantages of present approaches to political discourse (e.g.
cognitive, historical, corpus-driven, interpretive policy analysis, cultural
political economy, argumentation-based approaches, etc.)
- Mediatization of discourses of authoritarianism, nativism/nationalism,
sovereignism, populism and far-right movements
- The politics of the environment, the body, etc.
- (Multimodal) counter-discourses; including the use of social media platforms
and new formats such as memes as sites and means of protest, resistance and
subversion of hegemonic discourse
- Metadiscourse about the state of public/political discourse and issues
surrounding access/voice
- Theoretical challenges: How to address issues of saturation, manipulation,
relations of power, interference, influence, information bubbles, fake news,
and incivility of political discourse
- Case studies of new social/ political phenomena, top-down/bottom-up
political actors and their discursive articulations

Keynote speakers:

Prof Kay O’Halloran (University of Liverpool)
Prof Michał Krzyżanowski (Örebro University, Sweden)

2nd Call for Papers:

Abstracts submissions are invited for the next MAPD 2020 (Multidisciplinary
Approaches to Political Discourse) #3: Responding to new challenges, 25-26
June 2020, University of Liverpool

- The conference language is English.
- We encourage single papers and theme specific panels
- Papers will be allocated 20 minutes with 10 minutes for questions and
discussion
- Abstracts of 250-300 words (excluding bibliography) of single papers should
be sent by email as a Word document attachment to MAPD2020 at liverpool.ac.uk
- Please include name, affiliation, email address and paper title in the body
of the email.
- Abstracts of panels (500 word maximum) must be submitted by the panel
organiser(s) and should include a maximum of six contributions. Each panel
paper must follow the criteria of the single papers outlined above.
- Abstracts will be subject to review by an international scientific
committee.

Deadlines:

- 15 December 2019: Deadline for submission of panel proposals and individual
abstracts
- 31 January 2020: Notification of panels/papers acceptance. Please note that
if a panel is not accepted panel papers will be considered individually

Queries about the conference and abstracts should be sent to the conference
organisers, Franco Zappettini and Lyndon Way at MAPD2020 at liverpool.ac.uk.
Conference Fees (including lunches and refreshments, but excluding conference
dinner):
Full fee: £ 200 - early bird (before 15 April 2020): £ 160
Post graduates: £ 100 – early bird (before 15 April 2020): £80
Single day fee: £ 150 – Post graduate Single Day fee: £60
Conference Dinner: £ 40 (to be booked separately)
There will be reasonably priced accommodation available on campus

Contact:

- Twitter: @MAPD2020
- Email: MAPD2020 at liverpool.ac.uk
- Website: