30.3746, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Forensic Ling, Text/Corpus Ling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 4 08:06:48 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3746. Fri Oct 04 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3746, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Forensic Ling, Text/Corpus Ling/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 04:06:13
From: Brett Hashimoto [bretthashimoto at gmail.com]
Subject: Law and Corpus Linguistics

Full Title: Law and Corpus Linguistics
Short Title: LCL

Date: 06-Feb-2020 - 07-Feb-2020
Location: Provo, UT, USA
Contact Person: James Heilpern
Meeting Email: heilpernj at law.byu.edu
Web Site: https://corpusconference.byu.edu/2020-home/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Forensic Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 08-Oct-2019

Meeting Description:

Brigham Young University Law School will host the Fifth Annual Law & Corpus
Linguistics Conference in Provo, UT on February 6-7, 2020. Although we will
consider any paper related to law and corpus linguistics, broadly construed,
our strong preference this year will be for papers related to either the
canons of construction or intellectual property law. Keynote speakers will
include Professor William Eskridge, Jr. (Yale) and Professor Doug Litchman
(UCLA). We have also confirmed that several prominent members of the judiciary
will be in attendance including judges on the U.S. Circuit Court for the
Federal Circuit and U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.

Call for Papers:

Canons: One of the panels will focus on so-called “linguistic” or “semantic”
canons of construction. These canons—such as expressio unius, ejusdem generis,
the presumption of consistent meaning, and the presumption against
surplusage—are often justified on the ground that they accurately describe
common conventions of language usage. At the same time, no one thinks that the
premises of these canons always hold; they are viewed as presumptions, which
thus raise the question of when the presumptions stand, and in what
circumstances they are rebutted.

For a panel that will address these canons, we are seeking co-authored papers
from inter-disciplinary teams comprised of legal scholars and linguists. Each
team should identify one or more canons that they propose to analyze, with a
linguistic framework for evaluating the viability of the canon and for
identifying criteria in which the canon will hold and circumstances in which
it may not.

Intellectual Property: The law school is also specifically seeking original
proposals for papers to be presented at the conference as part of a panel on
Corpus Linguistics and IP Law. Topics include (but are not limited to) the
application of corpus linguistics to trademark dilution, genericide, prior art
determinations, patent claim construction, and copyrightability.

The proposal deadline has been extended to October 8, 2019. Proposals should
include an abstract of 500-750 words, a full outline, and complete contact
information. Please send materials to Tom Lee at leet at law.byu.edu.