30.3751, Qs: Searching for Reference on Priscian in Middle Ages

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 4 08:31:26 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3751. Fri Oct 04 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3751, Qs: Searching for Reference on Priscian in Middle Ages

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 04:30:42
From: Edward McDonald [laomaa63 at gmail.com]

Dear Linguistlisters:

I am searching for the source of an online chapter on p. 195 of an online
document headed ''III Carolingian Developments and Later Anglo-Saxon England''
found at the following URL

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/576316/10171756/1294752384103/Diss6-Late
rPeriod+copy.pdf?token=URRESTpbbndHK9b3A01bpxPdFxA%3D

but with no indication of the title of the full work (except that it refers to
itself on p. 192 as ''this concluding chapter”), nor of the author’s name.

The relevant paragraph which I wish to reference is as follows:

Besides devoting a section of his work to syntax as a separate subject,
Priscian wove into the organization of the IG as a whole elements of
syntactical doctrine which gained some currency even where the De
constructione was not yet, or not fully, assimilated. Two aspects of
syntactical doctrine in IG that seem particularly to have intrigued later
grammarians were Priscian’s teaching on the order of the partes and his
rationale for integrating the two books on syntax with the earlier books on
smaller elements of discourse.9 The latter derives from the linguistic
philosophy of Priscian’s chief source and inspiration, Apollonius Dyscolus,
who believed that the way linguistic elements combine to form larger units was
strictly analogous at every level, from individual letters all the way up to
continuous text.10 Apollonius calls this analogia and Priscian calls it ratio.
He explains the principle near the opening of Book 17...

I would be very grateful if any list members recognized this and were able to
provide the source.

If it is of interest, I need the reference for a book of mine which is about
to come out with Springer Nature entitled ''Grammar West to East: The
investigation of linguistic meaning in European and Chinese traditions'' which
includes a discussion of Parisian's grammar.

Many thanks

Ed McDonald

Linguistic Field(s): History of Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Latin (lat)