30.3761, Jobs: English; French; Spanish; General Linguistics: Linguist, Appen

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 4 17:21:43 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3761. Fri Oct 04 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3761, Jobs: English; French; Spanish; General Linguistics: Linguist, Appen

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 13:20:26
From: Jon Carlo Frayna [jcfrayna at appen.com]

University or Organization: Appen
Department: Recruitment
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://appen.com
Job Title: Work from Home Linguist (Latin Spanish and European French Needed)
Job Rank: Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      French (fra)
                      Spanish (spa)

You know that language data is the underpinning of all current language
technologies. You love practical language analysis as well as theoretical.
You're quick to learn and implement new label sets with a consideration for
the purpose of the data. You're willing and able to spend several hours a day
focusing on your task, with consistent results and are a fluent speaker of US
English AND native speakers of US Spanish or any variety of Latin American
Spanish and/or European French.

This project's goal is to teach a machine learning system how to understand
basic user queries to an AI assistant. We do this by annotating large amounts
of data in specific domains (like Messaging, Calling, and Weather), which
train the system.

Project Details:
Work location: global, remote
Hours: 20 hrs weekly
Project duration: ASAP until end of 2020

The successful contractor linguist will be engaged in the following
responsibilities:
- Annotate language data with linguistic information
- Implement annotation conventions and guidelines with accuracy and
consistency
- Communicate with other annotators about effective annotation strategies
- Contribute to the improvement of tools and processes by raising issues and
suggesting improvements
- Understand and adapt to changing requirements

Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language
Technologies, or related field
- Interest in practical as well as theoretical linguistics, especially syntax,
semantics, and pragmatics
- Facility with computers and software applications
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements, priorities, and revisions
- Cooperative, solution-oriented attitude
- Eagerness to learn new skills and work quickly
- Enthusiasm for detail work
- Ability to focus for significant portions of the work day
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Fluent speaker of US English as well as native-level speaker for either of
the following:
- European French
- US Spanish or any variety of Latin American Spanish

Preferred Qualifications
- Advanced degree and/or industry experience
- Annotation experience
- Experience with ontologies and label sets
- Experience working remotely

Notes:

If you already have an Appen Connect Account. Please look for the following
projects:
- English – Sphinx
- Spanish – Flores and/or Feather
- French – Feather and/or Sphinx

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do
not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability
status.

Application Deadline: 04-Nov-2019

Web Address for Applications: https://connect.appen.com/qrp/public/jobs?sref=bffa7301267b8b23eab461e8ae155abd
Contact Information: