30.3833, Jobs: English; French; Computational Linguistics; Discipline of Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lead Linguist, Appen

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 10 15:31:01 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3833. Thu Oct 10 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3833, Jobs: English; French; Computational Linguistics; Discipline of Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lead Linguist, Appen

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 11:30:36
From: Jon Carlo Frayna [jcfrayna at appen.com]

University or Organization: Appen
Department: Recruitment
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://appen.com
Job Title: Bilingual Lead Linguist - US English and French (France)
Job Rank: Lead Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Discipline of Linguistics; General Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      French (fra)

We're looking for an experienced linguist to lead a team of annotators and
help process language data for conversational understanding technologies.

You are the right candidate if you know that language data is the underpinning
of all current language technologies. You love practical language analysis as
well as theoretical. You're quick to learn and implement new label sets with a
consideration for the purpose of the data and are a native level speaker of US
English and European French.

Key Responsibilities:
- Develop CFG-style grammars for different languages and NLP task-oriented
applications and/or define and implement higher level grammar architecture
- Annotate corpus of data with linguistic, syntactic, semantic, pragmatic,
phonetic, phonological, and prosodic information
- Work closely with researchers and engineers by providing linguistic
expertise
- Monitor data acquisition and curation
- Handle personnel issues
- Field questions
- Take the lead on communicating announcements, feedback etc.
- Facilitate offboarding (e.g. collection of IT equipment, badges etc.) if
needed

Qualifications:
- Degree in Linguistics, Speech Science or related field
- Experience/interest in linguistics, especially syntax, semantics, and
pragmatics
- Native speaker of US English and European French
- Collaborative and solution oriented attitude
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements, priorities, and revisions
- Strong attention to detail
- Communicates clearly verbally and via email
- Available fulltime (40 hrs weekly)

Preferred Qualifications:
- Advanced degree and/or industry experience
- Experience with ontologies and label sets

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do
not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability
status.

Application Deadline: 09-Nov-2019 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: https://talent-appen.icims.com/jobs/4821/job?mode=job&iis=Jobsite&iisn=Linguistlist
Contact Information:
	Ms. Sarahlee Saludo
	Email: ssaludo at appen.com