30.3883, Books: Intertextuality in Practice: Mason

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 14 17:29:02 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3883. Mon Oct 14 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3883, Books: Intertextuality in Practice: Mason

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 13:28:27
From: Karin Plijnaar [karin.plijnaar at benjamins.nl]
Subject: Intertextuality in Practice: Mason

Title: Intertextuality in Practice
Series Title: Linguistic Approaches to Literature 33

Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: John Benjamins
	   http://www.benjamins.com/

Book URL: https://benjamins.com/catalog/lal.33

Author: Jessica Mason

Electronic: ISBN:  9789027262318 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 149.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027262318 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 83.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027262318 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 99.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027203427 Pages: 204 Price: U.S. $ 149.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027203427 Pages: 204 Price: U.K. £ 83.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027203427 Pages: 204 Price: Europe EURO 104.94

Abstract:

The books we’ve read, the films we’ve seen, the stories we’ve heard - and just
as importantly the ones we haven’t – form an integral part of our identity.
Recognising a reference to a text can result in feelings of pleasure,
expertise and even smugness; being lost as to a reference’s possible
significance can lead to alienation from a text or conversation.
<i>Intertextuality in Practice</i> offers readers a cognitively-grounded
framework for hands-on analysis of intertextuality, both in written texts and
spoken discourse. The book offers a historical overview of existing research,
highlighting that most of this work focuses on what intertextuality ‘is’
conceptually, rather than how it can be identified, described and analysed.
Drawing on research from literary criticism, neuroscience, linguistics and
sociology, this book proposes a cognitive stylistic approach, presenting the
‘narrative interrelation framework’ as a way of operationalising the concept
of intertextuality to enable close practical analysis.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Ling & Literature
                     Pragmatics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=138594