30.3982, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Hong Kong

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 19 03:58:10 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3982. Fri Oct 18 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3982, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Hong Kong

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 23:56:37
From: Lily Lai [lilylai at hku.hk]
Subject: Sociolinguistics Symposium 23

Full Title: Sociolinguistics Symposium 23
Short Title: SS23

Date: 16-Jun-2020 - 19-Jun-2020
Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Contact Person: Adam Jaworski
Meeting Email: ss23 at hku.hk
Web Site: http://www.ss23hk.com

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 28-Oct-2019

Meeting Description:

As a premier gathering of international sociolinguists, this biennial event
has emerged as a unique and innovative forum to develop and exchange new
ideas, broaden the scope of the discipline, and create new academic networks.
>From its beginnings as a small meeting of UK-based academics in 1976,
Sociolinguistic Symposium has grown into the largest sociolinguistic
conference in the world. Its Hong Kong edition will mark the conference’s
first appearance in Asia.

The theme of the conference is Unsettling Language. The contemporary world is
an unsettled place due to numerous conflict zones, forced migration, economic
imbalances and uncertainties, as well as ideological extremism resulting in
(or caused by) unsettling language emanating from powerful people, political
organizations, and the media. As a form of social action, this sort of
language requires serious, critical consideration, assessment and
counter-action.

Furthermore, the notion of ‘language’ itself is undergoing a critical
reassessment in how it is being theorized. Language is increasingly understood
as more than ‘just’ a set of linguistic resources. Its embodied nature, the
materiality of its modalities (speech and writing), interaction with other
modalities (sound, music, images, etc.), and with time and space, requires
integration of broader contexts of analysis, multimodal data sets, and
multidisciplinary approaches. We invite abstracts addressing the conference
theme as well as other contributions focusing on current and innovative themes
and theoretical challenges.

2nd Call for Papers:

Due to repeated requests, we are pleased to announce that the deadline of
abstract submission for Sociolinguistics Symposium 23 has been extended to
23:59, 28 October, 2019 (HKT). Details of abstract submission can be found
here:

https://www.ss23hk.com/copy-of-first-call-for-papers​

​If you have any questions concerning the abstract submission and the
conference, please feel free to contact our Conference Administrator, Miss
Lily Lai (Email: lilylai at hku.hk).

We look forward to receiving your submissions. Thank you.

Kind regards,

SS23 Organizing Committee

Ricky Chan
Katherine Chen