30.4053, Summer Schools: Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World / USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 24 20:40:09 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4053. Thu Oct 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4053, Summer Schools:  Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World / USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 16:39:55
From: Giang Le [gianghl2 at illinois.edu]

Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World

Host Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Website: https://linguistics.illinois.edu/languages/summer-institute-languages-muslim-world

Dates: 15-Jun-2020 - 08-Aug-2020
Location: Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA

Focus: The Summer Institute for Languages of the Muslim World (SILMW) is an annual intensive language program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We invite students to join the 9% of Americans who choose the unique and meaningful experience of learning a Less Commonly Taught Language (LCTL).  We believe that learning these languages will allow students to gain new global perspectives and set them apart as highly qualified individuals for international work and engagement.  Many of these languages can assist students in securing international positions in governmental, development, and academic sectors.
Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate

This summer SILMW will take place from June 15 to August 8, 2020, and we will
be offering Arabic, Persian, Swahili, Turkish, and Wolof.  The program is 8
weeks and is divided into two, 4-week semesters.This is an immersive
experience, complete with instruction, cultural activities, opportunities for
language practice, conversation tables, cooking classes, movie nights, and
more!

Subject Languages: Arabic, Standard
                    Persian, Iranian
                    Swahili
                    Turkish
                    Wolof

Registration: 21-Jan-2020 to 27-Apr-2020

Contact Person: Giang Le
                Email: silmw at illinois.edu

Apply on the web: https://linguistics.illinois.edu/silmw/prospective-students

Registration Instructions:
To apply to SILMW 2020, please fill out the relevant online application form
(for undergraduate or graduate) non-degree admission, linked above.