30.3334, FYI: Online Lecture: 9/12, Hickok: language neuro-architecture

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 5 11:05:04 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3334. Thu Sep 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3334, FYI: Online Lecture: 9/12, Hickok: language neuro-architecture

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 07:04:34
From: Dirk Den Ouden [ouden at mailbox.sc.edu]

Thursday, September 12, 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Neuro-Architectural Homologies for Language in the Human and Non-Human Primate
Brain
Greg Hickok, PhD.
University of California, Irvine.

The computational neuro-architecture of language has been difficult to
characterize. A long-standing excuse for the field’s slow progress as compared
to, say, the visual domain, is the lack of an animal model for such a unique
human trait. However, over the last 20 years of neuroscience research, we have
made enough progress in mapping language functions to reveal close
neuro-architectural homologies, not only between human language and systems in
non-human primates, but between linguistic and nonlinguistic systems within
the human brain. This realization has guided the development of new models of
the neurocomputational architecture of language. I will discuss two
architectural models covering phonological and syntactic domains. I will
highlight homologies between linguistic levels of representation as well as to
non-linguistic sensorimotor and sensory-conceptual systems in human and
non-human primates. These advances clarify the neural organization of language
and its possible evolutionary history.

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, September 12th 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173

More Information:

Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of South Carolina
Tel. 803-777-9241 | Email: denouden at sc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Syntax