30.3339, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Tunisia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 5 11:18:11 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3339. Thu Sep 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3339, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Tunisia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 07:17:19
From: Khaled Barkaoui [barkaoui at yorku.ca]
Subject: Language Testing Research Colloquium 2020

Full Title: Language Testing Research Colloquium 2020
Short Title: LTRC 2020

Date: 09-Jun-2020 - 13-Jun-2020
Location: Hammamet, Tunisia, Tunisia
Contact Person: Khaled Barkaoui
Meeting Email: barkaoui at yorku.ca
Web Site: https://www.iltaonline.com/page/LTRC2020

Call Deadline: 15-Oct-2019

Meeting Description:

LTRC2020: Assessment in multilingual contexts: Models, practices, policies &
challenges

We are excited to invite you to participate in the 42nd annual Language
Testing Research Colloquium (LTRC), which will be held in Hammamet, Tunisia
from June 9 through June 13, 2020. This is the first time that LTRC will take
place in Africa and the Arab World since the first LTRC meeting in Boston in
1979.

Call for Papers:

For many individuals and communities in our changing and globalized world,
multilingualism has become the norm. The theme of LTRC 2020, “Assessment in
multilingual contexts” attempts to tackle the many issues and challenges that
we face as assessors of language ability in multilingual environments.
Assessing this construct across multiple languages, for example, and doing so
equitably, fairly and responsibly, is a complex institutional challenge;
assessing the language competence of multilingual individuals is a similarly
complicated undertaking. It requires not only test adaptation, but also
innovation in test design, and novel views on how to tackle that challenge.
How do language testers respond to the myriad of theoretical and empirical
approaches that currently attempt to address these issues? How do language
teachers cope with the assessment of multiple languages present in their
classrooms? Why is it challenging for test designers to define the construct,
to assess and to score language assessments in multilingual contexts? How do
immigration officials or administrators, and immigrants and newcomers handle
institutional language demands? How do we deal with high status languages that
dominate those of lower status in institutional contexts? And what does all
this mean for the assessment of language ability?

The aim of LTRC 2020 is to bring together researchers from around the world to
address critical themes in assessment in multilingual environments. We do not
wish to limit potential contributions in any way with the few examples we have
given here; we aim to have a diverse set of approaches to the models and the
policies that may be adopted to solve this complex issue, and we therefore
welcome a range of approaches for discussion at the conference. We also
welcome papers and presentations on other topics in language assessment.

LTRC 2020 invites proposals for the presentation types listed below.  Each
proposal should be no longer than 500 words, in addition to a 250-word
summary.

Presentation Categories:

- Research papers
- Symposia
- Demonstrations (Demos)
- Posters
- Works-in-Progress (WIPs)

Proposal Deadline: Tuesday, 15 October 2019 at 11:59 pm (Central European
Time)

To submit a proposal, go to: https://www.conftool.pro/ltrc2020/

Conference website: https://www.iltaonline.com/page/LTRC2020

Email inquiries: LTRC2020 at gmail.com