30.3515, FYI: Online 9/26: Mick McNeil, Cognition and Aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 19 04:17:36 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3515. Thu Sep 19 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3515, FYI: Online 9/26: Mick McNeil, Cognition and Aphasia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 00:16:37
From: Dirk Den Ouden [ouden at mailbox.sc.edu]
Subject: Online 9/26: Mick McNeil, Cognition and Aphasia

Thursday, September 26th, 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

The task impurity problem in Aphasia testing:
Search for the cognitive deficits subtending language performance in Aphasia
Malcolm R. McNeil, Ph.D. CCC-SLP
University of Pittsburgh, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

While aphasia is defined, criterion selected, assessed and treated as a
language-specific disorder, deficits of nonlinguistic-specific functions are
found in people with aphasia.  It is unclear whether these deficits cause, are
caused by, or simply co-occur with the language deficits.  A fundamental and
pernicious problem in aphasia research, diagnosis and treatment is that no
tests of language performance measure only what they target (the task impurity
problem).  I will discuss task requirements and a battery of tests, currently
in development, that may help fractionate these functions so as to enhance
selection of targets for study and intervention.

__

This lecture will be delivered online, but broadcast live to USC:

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, September 26th 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm ET
The viewing event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173

More information:
Dirk den Ouden (denouden at sc.edu; +1 803-777-9241)

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics