30.3648, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Historical Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Anthropological Linguistics / Language, Culture and Society (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 27 00:24:02 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3648. Thu Sep 26 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3648, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Historical Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Anthropological Linguistics / Language, Culture and Society (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 20:23:53
From: Miguel Perez-Milans [m.milans at ucl.ac.uk]

Full Title: Language, Culture and Society

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Nov-2019

Call for Papers for a Themed Issue

Language, Epistemology and the Politics of Knowledge Production

We invite abstracts for full-length manuscripts to be published in Language,
Culture and Society (LCS) as part of a themed issue on Language, Epistemology
and the Politics of Knowledge production.

In the first two editorials of the journal we argued for an approach to
knowledge on language and culture as a terrain of struggle. This, we believe,
requires close attention to how our analytical and conceptual choices, the
collaborations we engage with, the academic and political agendas we pursue
and the ways we relate our work to knowledge produced by others get entrenched
with complex dynamics of power and inequality characterizing both the academic
fields and the social world at large.

The implications of such a stance are vast, in our view. On the one hand, it
pushes us to acknowledge the ways in which the kind of conceptual work
underpinning our research have enabled specific historical projects of
capitalism and colonization and thus the related forms of dispossession that
come with these (see, the forum section in LCS's inaugural issue for in-depth
discussions around Silvia Rivera Cusicanqui's critique of the dynamics of
re-voicing and appropriation of knowledge within the Academia). On the other,
this reflexive sensitivity also encourages us to revisit how our own framing
of language and of the ways in which language intersects with race and larger
dynamics of inequality and oppression may contribute to historically situated
forms of 'misrecognition' (Bourdieu, 1977) or 'blindness' (Foucault, 1980). As
a whole, these reflections invite us to rethink what research is and what it
does.

Drawing on this body of work, we invite now contributions aiming to explore
how these processes are re-articulated through the very epistemological
choices that we researchers as knowledge producers make in the language
disciplines. We welcome texts addressing the political nature of such choices
by critically engaging with frameworks that may have contributed to normalize
meanings of empirical neutrality and universality. This may include issues
concerned with any aspect of data generation/analysis as well as with our own
writing in the packaging of the stories that we claim to document. In so
doing, we encourage contributors to revisit central work that has already been
done in the field (e.g., Bucholtz, 2000), with a view to the possible
consequences that our epistemological choices may have under the socioeconomic
and political conditions in which we produce today. Following Cusicanqui's
arguments as well as the responses to her text in the LCS's inaugural issue
(see, for instance, McElhinny's on acknowledging), we are particularly
interested in explorations of how such considerations may contribute to new
and emerging epistemologies as well as new ways of understanding authorship
and academic knowledge production.

Please send your 500-word abstract to lcs.journal at ucl.ac.uk by no later than
15 November 2019.

Best regards,