31.1241, Confs: Anthro Ling, Socioling/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 2 15:34:23 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1241. Thu Apr 02 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1241, Confs: Anthro Ling, Socioling/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 11:33:36
From: Monika Reif [reif at uni-landau.de]
Subject: 39th International LAUD Symposium

39th International LAUD Symposium
Short Title: LAUD 2020

Date: 03-Aug-2020 - 06-Aug-2020
Location: Landau in der Pfalz, Germany
Contact: Martin Pütz
Contact Email: puetz at uni-landau.de

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

***39th International LAUD Symposium (August 3-6, 2020) cancelled because of
growing coronavirus concerns***

New suggested date: March 22-25, 2021

We regret to announce that the 39th International LAUD Symposium entitled
“Multilingualism in Africa”, scheduled for 3-6 August 2020 in Landau, Germany,
will have to be cancelled in response to the ongoing threat of COVID-19, the
illness caused by the novel coronavirus.
We sincerely regret that we will not be able to welcome you in Landau this
year. However, as you are well aware, the decision is necessary to protect the
health of everyone involved. Therefore, unfortunately, as COVID-19 continues
to spread rapidly in Germany and across Europe, we had to make this difficult
decision. At the same time we have now decided to postpone the event to 22-25
March next year. We will post more details as they become available.
Stay healthy and take good care of yourselves,
Martin Pütz, Frank Polzenhagen, Neele Mundt, Monika Reif
(The LAUD 2020 conference organisers)

Original Conference Posting:

Conference topic: Multilingualism in Africa: Language contact, endangerment
and
cultural conceptualisation

Scope and aims: This Symposium provides an interdisciplinary perspective on
multilingual Africa as a linguistic, sociolinguistic and cultural arena, as
well as an analysis of specific linguistic regions in various parts of the
African continent. Amongst other topics, the multilingual nature and
linguistic diversity of African regions will be at the centre of discussion
with a respective focus on languages in education and the issue of endangered
languages. The Symposium will also demonstrate the relevance of the cultural
conceptualisations encoded in language (e.g. New Englishes) to all aspects of
human life in African society. The Symposium is concerned with the
sociolinguistic and culture-specific situations in many parts of Africa and
centres on the nature and manifestations of the impact of globalisation on
African languages. The overall aim of the conference is to explore a wide
range of linguistic and cultural phenomena and factors that influence African
languages within the context of global change with far-reaching consequences
to future generations throughout the African continent.

NB: The Symposium is not concerned with linguistic-systematic analyses of
African languages per se, but rather with macro-sociolinguistic issues
pertaining to African languages and globalisation.