31.1272, Diss: Portuguese; Romance; Clinical Linguistics: Ana Margarida Nunes: ''Voz e emoção em Português Europeu «Voice and Emotion in European Portuguese»''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 7 00:38:30 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1272. Mon Apr 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1272, Diss:  Portuguese; Romance; Clinical Linguistics: Ana Margarida Nunes: ''Voz e emoção em Português Europeu «Voice and Emotion in European Portuguese»''

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 20:38:20
From: Ana Nunes [ananunes at um.edu.mo]

Institution: University of Aveiro, Portugal
Program: Linguistics and Health Technologies
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2009

Author: Ana Margarida Nunes

Dissertation Title: Voz e emoção em Português Europeu «Voice and Emotion in
European Portuguese»

Dissertation URL:  https://ria.ua.pt/bitstream/10773/ OAI identifier: oai:ria.ua.pt:10773

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Portuguese (por)

Language Family(ies): Romance

Dissertation Director(s):

Dissertation Abstract:

This research is a first description of voice and emotion for European
Portuguese. Based on studies for several languages (Finish, English, German),
we studied voice related parameters varying according to the emotion
expressed. The analysed parameters are related to F0, jitter, shimmer and
Harmonic Noise Ratio (HNR). This is an all-embracing study that approaches
voice and its relation/variation according to emotion. Three sources are
considered: psychogenic voice pathology; emotion produced by actors; and
spontaneous emotion analyses. Being a trailblazing research in this area,
values were measured for all three types of production. We highlight the fact
that our work only considers voice analysis without considering facial
expression and body posture. In order to make comparative studies with the
data collected for each corpus (pathology, acted emotion and spontaneous
emotion), we used the same analysis methods (Praat, SFS, SPSS, and Hoarseness
Diagram - for pathological voice analysis; and Feeltrace system - for the
spontaneous emotions). Studies and analyses related to acted emotion are
complemented by perceptual tests with American English and European Portuguese
speakers. Theses tests, as well as spontaneous emotion analysis, allowed the
extraction of data for Portuguese. Both emotion expression and perception have
many universal characteristics. However, Portuguese language proved to have
some particularities. Values obtained for neutral expression, sadness, and joy
are very close, contrary to what happens in other languages. Moreover, these
three emotions (from distinct families) are those that present the most
difficulty (to both informant groups) in the distinction perceptual tests.
This is probably the main particularity in emotion expression as far as
Portuguese is concerned, maybe due to cultural factors. This research also
shows that acted emotion is close to spontaneous emotion expression. However,
some parameters present different values, because the actor tends to somewhat
exaggerate the emotion.  This work led to the creation of original corpora
that can be an important resource for future analyses in an area still in
deficit in terms of scientific research in Portugal. Both corpora and the
obtained results may be useful in areas such as Speech Science, Robotics, and
Education.