31.1285, Qs: Would you like to see World English recorded in the OED?

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 7 18:53:41 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1285. Tue Apr 07 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1285, Qs: Would you like to see World English recorded in the OED?

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Yiwen Zhang <yiwen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 14:46:00
From: OED Team [oed.uk at oup.com]

One of the main goals of the OED’s ambitious revision project is widening the
geographical coverage of the dictionary.

This is in recognition of the fundamental changes that the English-speaking
world has undergone since the OED was first conceived: the emerging language
communities of 19th century now speak established varieties of English that
are developing their own standards of grammar, pronunciation, and lexis.

OED3 acknowledges that with the current status of English as a world language,
no longer is British English to be regarded as the dominant form of English –
it is only one of the many individual varieties of the language that share a
common lexical core but develop their own unique vocabularies.

Early research to our academic audience has surfaced feedback that researchers
would like more coverage of World English in the OED, but we would now like to
understand more about this want and need.

Could you share your thoughts by completing our survey?

Take the survey: https://bit.ly/328obBX

                     Historical Linguistics
                     Language Documentation
                     Lexicography