31.1355, Qs: Survey about academic conference organization and sustainability

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 14 19:52:48 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1355. Tue Apr 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1355, Qs: Survey about academic conference organization and sustainability

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Yiwen Zhang <yiwen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:52:38
From: Lilia Rissman [lilrissman at gmail.com]

Hello LinguistList!

Our research team at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is conducting a study
on sustainability in linguistics and cognitive science and we are interested
in surveying researchers for a study about their habits and preferences for
conference formats.

The current pandemic has changed the way conferences are being run this year.
In recent years, increased attention has been paid to conference accessibility
and the demographic makeup and sustainability of international conferences.
Significant technological advances have allowed conferences that are entirely
virtual to take place. Moreover, global climate change has individuals
rethinking their approach to conference travel. This is a good time for our
field to reflect on the standard conference model, online adaptation, and what
we want our standard model to be once this crisis has past.

Our survey is designed to probe the attitudes and habits of the broader
Cognitive Science community to identify potential actionable changes that can
be made to the standard conference model that will increase accessibility and
reduce the carbon footprint of global science. Please follow the link to a
five- to ten-minute survey that asks for your specific attitudes about these
issues.

https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8f6RfJsVMalMi6p

Thank you for your time. To find out more information, please email Cassandra
Jacobs (cjacobs2 at wisc.edu) and/or Lilia Rissman (lrissman at wisc.edu).

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science