31.1367, Calls: Text/Corpus Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 16 00:19:29 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1367. Wed Apr 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1367, Calls: Text/Corpus Linguistics/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 20:18:43
From: Daniel Preotiuc-Pietro [danielpr at gmail.com]
Subject: Workshop of Natural Legal Language Processing

Full Title: Workshop of Natural Legal Language Processing
Short Title: NLLP

Date: 24-Aug-2020 - 24-Aug-2020
Location: San Diego, USA
Contact Person: Daniel Preotiuc-Pietro
Meeting Email: danielpr at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/nllp/

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 20-May-2020

Meeting Description:

We aim to bring together researchers and practitioners from Data Science (DS),
Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML) and other Artificial
Intelligence (AI) disciplines, and the legal domain.

The NLLP workshop was held for the first time in 2019, collocated with the
Conference of the North-American Association of Computational Linguistics
(NAACL). The first edition consisted of 12 original papers, 9 of which are
archived in the workshop proceedings.

Building on the success of the first edition, the 2nd edition of the NLLP
workshop will be collocated with KDD 2020.

Call for Papers:

Topics:
We welcome all submissions describing original work with one or more of the
following contribution types:

Applications of DS/AI/NLP/ML to legal tasks including:
- Legal Citation Resolution
- Case Outcome Analysis and Prediction
- Models of Legal Reasoning
- E-Discovery
- Lexical and other Data Resources for the Legal Domain
- Bias and Privacy
- Experimental results using and adapting DS/AI/NLP/ML methods for legal data
including:
- Classification
- Information Retrieval
- Anomaly Detection
- Clustering
- Knowledge Base Population
- Multimedia Search
- Link Analysis
- Entity Recognition and Disambiguation
- Training and Using Embeddings
- Parsing
- Dialogue and Discourse Analysis
- Text Summarization and Generation
- Relation and Event Extraction
- Anaphora Resolution
- Question Answering
- Query Understanding
- Combining Text with Structured data

Tasks:
- Description of new legal tasks for DS/AI/NLP/ML.
- Structured overviews of a specific task with the goal of identifying new
areas for research.
- Position papers presenting new visions, challenges and changes to existing
research practices.

Resources:
- Creation of curated and/or annotated data sets that can be publicly released
and used by the community to advance the field.

Demos:
- Descriptions of systems which use DS/AI/NLP/ML technologies for legal text.
Industrial Research
- Industrial applications.
- Papers describing research on proprietary data.

Submissions:
We accept papers reporting original (unpublished) research of two types:
Long papers (max 6 pages + references)
Short papers (max 3 pages + references)

All submissions should be anonymized to facilitate double blind reviewing. To
submit a paper, please access the submission link:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nllp2020

Conference proceedings will be published on the CEUR Workshop Proceedings.

Non-archival option:
The authors have the option of submitting previously unpublished research as
non-archival, meaning that only the abstract will be published in the
conference proceedings. We expect these submissions to describe the same
quality of work as archival submissions. These will be reviewed following the
same procedure as archival submissions. This option accommodates publication
of the work or a superset at a later date in a conference or journal which
does not allow previously archived work and to encourage presentation and
feedback on mature, yet unpublished work.

Dual Submission Policy:
Papers that have been or will be submitted to workshops, conferences or
journals during the review period must indicate so at submission time. Authors
of papers accepted for presentation at the NLLP workshop 2020 must notify the
organizers by the camera-ready deadline as to whether the paper will be
presented or withdrawn. Exception: Submissions with the non-archival option
are excepted from this requirement.

Style & Format Guidelines:
Submissions to the workshop must be in PDF and should follow the KDD paper
formatting.

Important Dates:
Submission deadline: 20 May 2020
Notification: 15 June 2020
Camera ready: 30 June 2020
Workshop: 24 August 2020
All deadlines are 11.59 pm UTC -12h.

Presentation:
We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and we will follow the KDD 2020
recommendations around the workshop's form of organization.
Presentation format and schedule will be announced before the camera-ready
deadline.