31.1390, FYI: Announcement – virALLanguages: Coronavirus explained in marginalized languages

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 18 17:50:40 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1390. Sat Apr 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1390, FYI:  Announcement – virALLanguages: Coronavirus explained in marginalized languages

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 13:50:28
From: Pierpaolo Di Carlo [pierpaol at buffalo.edu]

COVID-19 is spreading across the world and is and will be reaching the most
vulnerable communities without access to trusted reliable information and
health care. Information about COVID-19 is being translated into many of the
world’s languages, but additional efforts are needed so that accurate and
verified information reaches, and is trusted by, people speaking marginalized
languages. Only in this way can they protect themselves and their communities.
This is what the virALLanguages project aims to do.

The project is being successfully piloted in several communities in Cameroon,
and we hope the materials, technical assistance and workflow provided by
virALLanguages will be valuable for many other parts of the world. Project
outputs can be seen on our Youtube channel
(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJSKV76ziOi5XeOxMgVWLUg/videos) and Facebook
page (https://www.facebook.com/virallanguages).

We welcome cooperation with any interested partner. In particular, we are
looking for people who can either lead efforts to translate key information
into specific languages or are willing to help coordinate at a regional level.

virALLanguages is a volunteer-run initiative launched by a group of linguists,
anthropologists, and activists coming from or working with local community
members and in consultation with experts in public health.

For more information, please visit http://virallanguages.org.
If you want to get in touch with us with specific questions, please send an
email to virallanguages at gmail.com.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable