31.1440, FYI: Online 4/30: Jamie Reilly, Cursing in aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 24 22:06:59 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1440. Fri Apr 24 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1440, FYI:  Online 4/30: Jamie Reilly, Cursing in aphasia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 18:03:21
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online 4/30: Jamie Reilly, Cursing in aphasia

Thursday, April 30, 2020, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Cursing in Aphasia and other Neurological Disorders: Synthesis and New
Directions

Jamie Reilly, Ph.D
Temple University

Many neurological disorders (e.g., aphasia, TBI, Tourette Syndrome) result in
excessive and/or uncontrolled cursing. Much remains to be learned about the
cognitive and neural underpinnings of cursing, and there are no known
behavioral treatments.  In this talk I will present an overview of cursing in
American English. Listeners will learn about cursing and the complex interplay
cursing invokes between language, emotion regulation, and inhibitory control.
I will also present data from a non-invasive brain stimulation study among
neurotypical adults showing that cathodal (inhibitory) stimulation of the
right frontal cortex dampens arousal during cursing. We will discuss
therapeutic applications of this technique to disorders of arousal and
inhibitory control.

This lecture can be followed online from your computer, tablet or smartphone,
via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone: United States: +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173

Join from a video-conferencing room or system:
Dial in or type: 67.217.95.2 or inroomlink.goto.com; Meeting ID: 667 426 173
Or dial directly: 667426173 at 67.217.95.2 or 67.217.95.2##667426173

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting
starts:
https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/667426173

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Pragmatics