31.1454, Disc: Rhyming and Pronunciation

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 28 01:50:30 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1454. Mon Apr 27 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1454, Disc: Rhyming and Pronunciation

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Yiwen Zhang <yiwen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:50:11
From: Diana Fredrich [dlcox55 at comcast.net]
Subject: Rhyming and Pronunciation

I lead ESL Conversation at the library.  I am native English speaker and lead
a mixed group.  At our last group class - they told me that the words WARM and
WORM sounded exactly alike to them.  I wanted to make a lesson - then I
realized that some English speakers say WARM like FARM, and some say WARM like
FORM.  Is it just the case that there are 2 different ways to pronounce WARM
in English?  Thank you!  Diana