31.1460, Calls: Comp Ling, Lexicography, Neuroling, Psycholing, Text/Corpus Ling/Spain

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 28 03:03:33 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1460. Mon Apr 27 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1460, Calls: Comp Ling, Lexicography, Neuroling, Psycholing, Text/Corpus Ling/Spain

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 23:02:31
From: Michael Zock [michael.zock at lis-lab.fr]
Subject: Cognitive Aspects of the Lexicon

Full Title: Cognitive Aspects of the Lexicon
Short Title: CogALex

Date: 12-Dec-2020 - 12-Dec-2020
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Contact Person: Michael Zock
Meeting Email: michael.zock at lis-lab.fr
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/cogalex-2020/home

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Aug-2020

Meeting Description:

***Please note that CogALex has been rescheduled from August 13 to December 12
due to the COVID-19 crisis***

Supporting us in many tasks (thinking, searching, memorizing and
communicating) words are important. Hence, one may wonder how to build tools
supporting their learning and usage (access/navigation). Alas the answer is
not quite as straightforward as it may seem. It depends on various factors:
the questioner's background (lexicography, psychology, computer science), the
task (production/reception), and the material support (hardware). Words in
books, computers and the human brain are not the same. Obviously, being aware
of this, different communities have focused on different issues --(dictionary
building; creation of navigational tools; representation and organization of
words; time course for accessing a word, etc.)-- yet,  their views and
respective goals have changed considerably over time.

Obviously, different communities look at words from different angles, which
can be an asset, as complementary views may help us to broaden and deepen our
understanding of this fundamental cognitive resource. Yet, this diversity of
perspectives can also a problem, in particular if the field is rapidly moving
on, as in our case. Hence it becomes harder and harder for everyone, including
experts, to remain fully informed about the latest changes (state of the art).
This is one of the reasons why we organize this workshop. More precisely, our
goal is not only to keep people informed without getting them crushed by the
information glut, but also to help them to perceive clearly what is new,
relevant, hence important. Last, but not least, we would like to connect
people from different communities in the hope that this may help them to gain
new insights or inspirations.

This workshop is about possible enhancements of lexical resources
(representation, organization of the data, etc.). To allow for this we invite
researchers to submit their contributions. The idea is to discuss the
limitations of existing resources and to explore possible enhancements that
take into account the users' and the engineers' needs (computational aspects).

Also, just like in the past we propose again a 'shared task'. This time the
goal is to provide a common benchmark for testing lexical representations for
the automatic identification of lexical semantic relations (synonymy,
antonymy, hypernymy, part-whole meronymy) in various languages (English,
Chinese, and so on).

Invited Speaker: Alex Arenas (http://deim.urv.cat/~alexandre.arenas/)

Second Call for Papers:

For this workshop we solicit papers including but not limited to the following
topics, each of which can be considered from various points of view:
linguistics (lexicography, computational- or corpus linguistics), neuro- or
psycholinguistics (tip-of-the-tongue problem, word associations),
network-related sciences (vector-based approaches, graph theory, small-world
problem), and so on. For more details, see the Cogalex website :
https://sites.google.com/view/cogalex-2020/home

Workshop Submissions:

The workshop features two tracks:

(a) a regular research track, where the submissions must be substantially
original.
(b) a shared task track, with submissions consisting of system description
papers.

Submissions must be anonymized, conform to the style sheet of the main
conference (https://coling2020.org/pages/call_for_papers), and be submitted
via the Coling website (https://www.softconf.com/coling2020/CogALex/). While
some papers may be accepted only as posters, in the workshop proceedings no
distinction will be made between them and full papers.

Important Dates:

Workshop papers:
 - Paper submission deadline: August 15, 2020
 - Notification of acceptance: September, 2020
 - Camera-ready papers due: October 20, 2020
 - Workshop date: December 12, 2020

Shared task:
 - Release of development data : August 1st, 2020
 - Release of test data : September 1st, 2020
 - Announcement of winners October 1st, 2020
 - Shared task papers due: October 20, 2020

Contacts:
For general questions, please get in touch with
- Michael Zock (michael.zock at lis-lab.fr)

Concerning the shared task, please contact
- Enrico Santus (esantus at gmail.com), or
- Emmanuele Chersoni (emmanuelechersoni at gmail.com)