31.2468, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Semantics, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 4 19:49:17 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2468. Tue Aug 04 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2468, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Semantics, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Switzerland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:48:37
From: Miriam Petruck [miriamp at icsi.berkeley.edu]
Subject: Interactional Frames and Language Resource Development

Full Title: Interactional Frames and Language Resource Development

Date: 27-Jun-2021 - 02-Jul-2021
Location: Winterthur, Switzerland
Contact Person: Miriam Petruck
Meeting Email: miriamp at icsi.berkeley.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Oct-2020

Meeting Description:

''A second and equally important kind of framing is the framing of the actual
communication
situation...We have both cognitive frames and interactional frames, the latter
having to do with how we conceptualize what is going on between the speaker
and the hearer, or the author and the reader.'' (Fillmore 1982: 117)

Motivated by Fillmore’s characterization of interactional frames (1982:117),
the goal of this
panel is to bring together theoretical linguists working in pragmatics with
frame semanticists, creators of FrameNet-inspired lexica (Ruppenhofer et al.,
2016, Boas 2009) and constructicons (Lyngfelt et al., 2018), as well as
developers of real world applications. The panel will provide a forum to
discuss the importance of the role of interactional frames in human language
understanding as well as the challenges and consequences of representing
Fillmore’s interactional frames in resources based on Frame Semantics and
Construction Grammar, along with their implementation in computational
systems.

Call for Papers:

We solicit contributions from theoretical linguists working on interactional
frames and developers of both FrameNet-type lexical and grammatical resources,
i.e., constructicons, as well as those developing real world applications
(e.g., Fischer et al. 2020). The General CFP
(https://pragmatics.international/page/CfP) gives information about abstract
requirements.

We expect oral presentations to be 20 minutes, with 10 minutes for Q&A
(subject to change). We anticipate vigorous discussion of the role of
interactional frames in the development of FrameNet-type resources, especially
insofar as they provide critical information for Natural Language Processing
applications.

Please send your abstract to the panel organizers, Kyoko Ohara
(ohara at hc.st.keio.ac.jp) and Miriam R L Petruck (miriamp at icsi.berkeley.edu),
by October 1, 2020. You will also need to submit your abstract to the main
conference site at https://ipra2021.exordo.com/login by October 25, 2020.