31.2479, Books: Making Sense: Crystal

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 6 02:21:21 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2479. Wed Aug 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2479, Books: Making Sense: Crystal

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 22:20:37
From:  Oxford University Press [HumanitiesMarketing at oup.com]
Subject: Making Sense: Crystal

Title: Making Sense
Subtitle: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar
Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/making-sense-9780197521823?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Author: David Crystal

Paperback: ISBN:  9780197521823 Pages: 304 Price: U.S. $ 18.95

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced title.

In Making Sense, David Crystal confronts the foe of many: grammar. Once taught
relentlessly to all students in the English-speaking world, grammar
disappeared from most school curricula, so that terms such as "preposition"
and "conjunction" now often confound children and adults alike.

Explaining the nuts and bolts of grammar presents a special challenge, because
- far more than is the case with spelling and punctuation - the subject is
burdened with a centuries-old history of educational practice that many will
recall as anything but glamorous. One of the world's foremost authorities on
the English language, Crystal sets out to rid grammar of its undeserved
reputation as a dry and intimidating subject, pointing out how essential
grammar is to clear and effective speech and writing. He moves briskly through
the stages by which children acquire grammar, along the way demystifying
grammar's rules and irregularities and showing us how to navigate its snares
and pitfalls. He offers the fascinating history of grammar, explaining how it
has evolved from the first grammarians in ancient Greece to our 21st century
digital environment of blogging, emailing, and texting.

Many find grammar to be a daunting subject, but in this breezy, entertaining
book, Crystal proves that grammar doesn't need to make us uneasy-we can all
make sense of how we make sense.

                     Historical Linguistics
                     Morphology
                     Syntax

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=145915