31.2484, Qs: Survey on Literacy and Language Acquisition

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 6 09:19:08 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2484. Thu Aug 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2484, Qs: Survey on Literacy and Language Acquisition

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 05:18:36
From: Egle Mocciaro [egle.mocciaro at unipa.it]
Subject: Survey on Literacy and Language Acquisition

We have recently put together a COST Action. If you are unfamiliar with COST,
see https://www.cost.eu/who-we-are/about-cost/

The Action aims to expand what we know about acquisition of a new language by
adult migrants with no home language literacy (less than 4% of research in
Europe and elsewhere involves non-literate adult second language learners).
Please see https://www.leslla.org/languages-of-leslla-learners for a list of
languages which such adults speak.

We are conducting a six-question survey to get a sense of what linguists,
particularly (but not only) those who work on first and non-native language
acquisition know and/or assume about the influence of literacy. Thanks in
advance for taking it; here’s the link:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TVYSGKY

Egle Mocciaro and Martha Young-Scholten

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition