31.2607, Qs: Linguistic Sexism

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 19 01:19:48 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2607. Tue Aug 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2607, Qs: Linguistic Sexism

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 21:19:12
From: Benedicta Lomotey [adokarley at hotmail.com]
Subject: Linguistic Sexism

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently carrying out a research on linguistic sexism and language
change. The study focuses on the effects of feminist linguists on the teaching
of Spanish as a foreign language and the interconnection between language,
identity and ideology. Specifically, I examine attitudes towards the use of
gender fair alternatives in the educational domain and native speakers’
perceptions about feminist attempts at language reform.

I am therefore collecting data on current perceptions, attitudes and beliefs
on gender fair language. I am trying to gather data from native speakers as
well as fluent speakers and teachers of Spanish.

I have designed two distinct questionnaires in which I ask questions on sexism
and demographic information such as gender, age, nationality, and profession.
They are all brief questionnaires that would only take about 5 minutes each to
answer.

I would be most grateful if native speakers of Spanish could participate in my
research by answering my questionnaires. Fluent Spanish speakers and teachers
are also invited to do same.
I would be extremely grateful if you could spread the questionnaires to fellow
faculty and students in your university and other institutions. Survey 2 can
be answered by academics and nonacademics as well. Kindly share that with all
relations.

I assure the anonymity of all information gathered and also agree to thank
those participants who wish to reveal their real names, in the
acknowledgements of my research.

If you have any questions about my research, please contact me at
adokarley at hotmail.com or balomotey at ug.edu.gh

Here are the links to my study:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCjjZyo_y1lB1dwPLE5KSwNIs_-8-d0A4FqM
cqm9N8JiYkSg/viewform?usp=sf_link

and

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScEOEDucz_INvmVefBAokv4Ks_laWPqahfrBJ
SxbzLBQ0aF3w/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thank you in advance for your participation.
Benedicta Adokarley Lomotey

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Language Family(ies): Romance