31.2601, All: Michael Silverstein Memorial Scholarship Fund

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 18 19:15:21 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2601. Tue Aug 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2601, All: Michael Silverstein Memorial Scholarship Fund

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:14:29
From: Constantine Nakassis [cnakassi at uchicago.edu]

Dear colleagues,

A memorial scholarship fund to honor our recently deceased colleague, Michael
Silverstein has been set up by his family. The fund is dedicated to providing
equal access to graduate education in anthropology at the University of
Chicago. Below I have forwarded along a message from his widow and information
about the fund for those who might be interested to donate.

All best, Constantine Nakassis

--

Dear Colleagues, Friends, and Students of Michael Silverstein -

Thanks to the many of you who have sent your condolences and shared memories
of Michael. They have helped sustain us.

A number of you have asked about making a donation in Michael's name. To honor
that request, we came up with the idea of creating a memorial fund that
captures what he cared about -- graduate education and equal access to
education. The details on that memorial fund are in the attached letter.

Please excuse any duplication of this email or information as we try to reach
all the people whose lives were touched by Michael.

With gratitude for your presence in his life,
Mara Tapp

*Announcing The Michael Silverstein Memorial Scholarship Fund*

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
The University of Chicago community was saddened by the recent loss of Michael
Silverstein, The Charles F. Grey Distinguished Service Professor of
Anthropology, Linguistics, and of Psychology and in the Committee on
Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities. To honor the memory of this
groundbreaking scholar, the Division has established The Michael Silverstein
Memorial Scholarship Fund. A link can be found here:
https://giving.uchicago.edu/site/Donation2?idb=1275503813&1838.donation=form1&
df_id=1838&mfc_pref=T&1838_donation=form1&set.Designee=2641

The Michael Silverstein Memorial Fund is devoted to expanding access to
anthropology at the University of Chicago and diversifying the scholarship
within it. In honor of Michael Silverstein's pioneering contribution to the
study of language, Native North America and Aboriginal Australia, and politics
within the United States, as well as his half century of teaching at the
University of Chicago, the memorial fund will prioritize support for alumni of
the Chicago Public Schools and for members of historically underrepresented
communities within anthropology. The Michael Silverstein Memorial Fund is
devoted to doctoral research that expands the scope, inclusion, and
contribution of anthropology as a mode of social inquiry. Please direct any
questions regarding this fund to Yasmin Omer (yasminomer at uchicago.edu).

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Discipline of Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     General Linguistics