31.3757, Confs: Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 8 03:43:43 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3757. Mon Dec 07 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3757, Confs: Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 22:43:07
From: Nicole Gotzner [nicole.gotzner at googlemail.com]
Subject: XPRAG Wine Gatherings

XPRAG Wine Gatherings
Short Title: XPRAG-WINE

Date: 17-Dec-2020 - 17-Dec-2020
Location: Paris (Zoom), France
Contact: Nicole Gotzner
Contact Email: nicole.gotzner at googlemail.com
Meeting URL: https://sites.google.com/view/xprag-wine/home

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Language Acquisition; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics

Meeting Description:

Do you miss your fellow experimental pragmaticists? Then we have a treat for
you! The XPRAG Wine Gatherings will feature renowned scholars in the area of
experimental pragmatics and provide a discussion forum for the community. The
series will take place virtually via Zoom once a month and, each time, we
invite you to drink a specific kind of wine with us. The first talk will be
held by Nausicaa Pouscoulous (UCL) on the topic of 'False Implicatures:
cooperation, commitment and plausible deniability'. We have mulled wine (aka
Glühwein, Glögg, Vin Chaud) on the table to get into the mood for the
holidays.

Program Information:

Time: 17 December, 8.15 - 9.15 p.m. (CET)
Speaker: Nausicaa Pouscoulous (UCL)
Hosts: Nicole Gotzner and Ira Noveck
Wine selection: Mulled wine (aka Glühwein, Glögg, Vin Chaud)
Zoom link:
https://u-paris.zoom.us/j/87650602862?pwd=MUFvWG1iTVFCNHJZei84cHBITDdndz09
Meeting ID: 876 5060 2862
Passcode: 202020

Abstract:
Intended implicatures or pragmatic enrichments (e.g., “I’ve eaten some of the
cookies”, meaning not all) can be false (when I’ve eaten all of them), but
they probably do not quite have the same status as lies. Speakers can, of
course, exploit this feature. This talk brings together findings from two
projects – one with Giulio Dulcinati and the other in collaboration with
Francesca Bonalumi, Johannes Mahr and Pauline Marie – investigating how
hearers react to false implicatures. The first one looks at the perception of
false implicatures in cooperative and uncooperative contexts. The second one
explores how committed speakers are perceived to be to what they have
expressed via an implicature or enrichment. It also probes whether a speaker
can plausibly deny having intended them when they turn out to be false.