31.3807, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 11 00:34:05 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3807. Thu Dec 10 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3807, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 19:33:39
From: Caroline Rossi [caroline.rossi at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr]
Subject: AFLiCo Lecture Series 2020

AFLiCo Lecture Series 2020

Date: 14-Dec-2020 - 18-Dec-2020
Location: Online, France
Contact: Caroline Rossi
Contact Email: Caroline.Rossi at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Meeting URL: http://aflico.fr/evenmts.html

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science

Meeting Description:

AFLiCo Lecture Series 2020 (online)
Registration is free but closes on Friday, December 11 (12 noon, CET)

The Lecture Series is a new initiative by the French Cognitive Linguistics
Association (AFLiCo).

The Association has held successful biennial workshops (AFLiCo JET) for 10
years now, and the 6th edition was due to take place in Grenoble in the fall
of 2020. AFLiCo JET workshops have provided a forum for high-quality research
in cognitive linguistics and, more generally, usage-based approaches to
language (see e.g. CogniTextes special issue 19). With the COVID-19 crisis
preventing us from planning the usual gathering, we have outlined an
alternative proposal. Our 2020 workshop will be held online, and the format
will change accordingly. We will have only invited talks, and the Series will
be published in CogniTextes, the AFLiCo's online journal.

Access to the Lectures will be free and open to all, but registration is
required using the form linked from http://aflico.fr/evenmts.html.

Program Information:

Monday Dec 14, 2020, 12.30-2.30 pm (CET)
    Speaker: Kari Sullivan (University of Queensland)
    Lecture title: Abstract artworks 'speak' to fewer people and have less to
'say' than figurative works

Tuesday Dec 15, 2020, 5.30-7.30 pm (CET)
    Speaker: Stefan Th. Gries (UC Santa Barbara & JLU Giessen)
    Lecture title: Increasing (quantitative) precision: blend production,
contexts of alternations, and corpus-linguistic association

Wednesday Dec 16, 2020, 5.30-7.30 pm (CET)
    Speaker: Reyes Llopis-García (Columbia University)
    Lecture title: No Functions... Constructions! CxG and Cognitive
Linguistics: Powerful Allies for User friendly L2 Pedagogy

Thursday Dec 17, 2020, 5.30-7.30 pm (CET)
    Speaker: Florent Perek (University of Birmingham)
    Lecture title: Construction Grammar in action: The English Constructicon
project

Friday Dec 18, 2020, 5.30-7.30 pm (CET)
    Speaker: Lauren Fonteyn (Leiden university Centre for Linguistics)
    Lecture title: Prepositional Polysemy through the lens of contextualized
word embeddings