31.3815, Calls: Comp Ling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 11 02:08:41 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3815. Thu Dec 10 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3815, Calls: Comp Ling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 21:07:58
From: Anita Valmarska [anita.valmarska at ijs.si]
Subject: Hackashop on news media content analysis and automated report generation

Full Title: Hackashop on news media content analysis and automated report generation

Date: 19-Apr-2021 - 20-Apr-2021
Location: Online, Ukraine
Contact Person: Anita Valmarska
Meeting Email: anita.valmarska at ijs.si
Web Site: http://embeddia.eu/hackashop2021/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 18-Jan-2021

Meeting Description:

News media content, including news articles and the comments that readers
post, is a rich potential source of insight into current events and opinions –
but many challenges remain if we are to develop automated tools for analysis
and reporting. This hackashop, a combination of workshop and hackathon, aims
to bring together an audience from computer science, social science and
industry to target these multi-disciplinary challenges.

In order to encourage scientific and technological advances, we have a dual
format: (1) a traditional workshop format for discussing scientific advances
is combined with (2) a preceding hackathon-type event in which participants
are provided with news media data and a suite of component tools to experiment
with novel approaches and solutions. Hackashop participants are welcome to
participate in one or both activities. The workshop day will then bring
participants together to share new insights from both research- and
experimentation-based work.

Call for Papers:

We welcome work broadly in the area of natural language processing of news
media, addressing the various needs from the readers who consume news of their
personal interest to journalists who keep track of what is going on in the
world, try to understand what their readers think of various topics, or want
to automate routine reporting. Cross-disciplinary collaborations of computer
scientists with media researchers and other social scientists are especially
welcome, as are collaborations with the media industry, in order to reach
richer insights into the needs and opportunities in news media analysis and
generation. We encourage contributions that address multilingual settings,
including but not limited to low-resource languages.

Paper format and submission:
Submissions must be in PDF, conform to the official style guidelines for EACL
2021, and be at most 8 pages long, including references. Shorter papers are
also welcome. Papers may be anonymized but it is not obligatory.

You can find the LaTeX template here:
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/eacl-2021-proceedings-template/jprrhh
tnbrrm or download the zip file here:
https://2021.eacl.org/downloads/eacl2021-templates.zip

Submit your manuscript here: https://www.softconf.com/eacl2021/hackashop2021/

Important dates for workshop papers:
Jan 18: Paper submission deadline (see instructions below)
Feb 18: Notification of acceptance
Mar 1: Camera-ready papers due
April 19 or 20: Workshop date

Due to the covid-19 situation, the hackathon will be a virtual event with
remote participation and a flexible schedule (rather than an intensive coding
and experimentation event).

Workshop proceedings:
Accepted, peer-reviewed papers will be published in EACL workshop proceedings.
After the meeting, we aim to organize a special issue or an edited book volume
with selected, expanded papers from the workshop, possibly selected hackathon
contributions, as well as a review of all the hackathon activities and their
results.