31.3847, Jobs: English; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Post Doc, Royal Institute of Technology

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 14 19:10:27 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3847. Mon Dec 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3847, Jobs: English; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Post Doc, Royal Institute of Technology

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:09:37
From: Gabriel Skantze [skantze at kth.se]
Subject: English; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Post Doc, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

University or Organization: Royal Institute of Technology
Department: Speech Music and Hearing
Job Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Web Address: https://www.kth.se/tmh
Job Title: Postdoc position in Predictive modelling for Conversational AI
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

We are seeking a Postdoc for the project "Prediction and Coordination for
Conversational AI", led by Prof. Gabriel Skantze at KTH Royal Institute of
Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. The project is part of our larger goal of
developing systems, such as social robots, that can engage in spoken
interaction with humans in the same natural way we interact with each other.
In the project we use data of spoken interaction between humans and explore
models that can make predictions about the speakers' future behavior,
including what they will say and when they will speak. These models will then
be used to allow a conversational agent to anticipate the human partner's
actions and adapt accordingly, in order to improve coordination, such as
smooth turn-taking. An important aspect of the project is also to analyze
these models to gain better understanding of how communicative signals enable
prediction and coordination in conversation.

The work builds upon our previous and ongoing work around the development of
such models using self-supervised learning (e.g., Skantze 2017, Roddy et al
2018, Ekstedt & Skantze 2020), and you will work together with a PhD student
already working in the project. The modelling involves several modalities,
including speech, text and gaze, and it is therefore advantageous if you have
experience of methods from both speech technology and NLP. The project is
highly interdisciplinary, and we would like to see applicants with interests
in both machine learning, linguistics, and psychology.

The position is mainly a research position, with a small fraction of
departmental duties (e.g. teaching). This postdoctoral position is a full-time
employed position for two years. The starting date is open for discussion,
though ideally we would like the successful candidate to start as soon as
possible.

Applicants should have a PhD degree in a subject relevant for the research,
such as computer science, speech technology, computational linguistics, or
cognitive science. The position requires good skills in programming, machine
learning, and statistical analysis. Good command of English, in writing and
speaking, is a prerequisite for presenting research results in international
periodicals and at conferences.

Deadline for application is January 29, 2021.

For more information, please visit the application link provided below.

Application Deadline: 29-Jan-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://www.kth.se/en/om/work-at-kth/lediga-jobb/what:job/jobID:369978/where:4/
Contact Information:
	Professor Gabriel Skantze