31.3890, Calls: Discipline of Ling, Gen Ling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 16 19:57:38 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3890. Wed Dec 16 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3890, Calls: Discipline of Ling, Gen Ling/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:57:14
From: Jarosław Weckwerth [wjarek at amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 50th Poznan Linguistic Meeting

Full Title: 50th Poznan Linguistic Meeting
Short Title: PLM2021

Date: 16-Sep-2021 - 19-Sep-2021
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact Person: Alyona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz
Meeting Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics; General Linguistics

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2021

Meeting Description:

It is with great pride that we announce that we will be celebrating the 50th
edition of the Poznań Linguistic Meeting. It will be organised by the Faculty
of English, Adam Mickiewicz University. This jubilee edition will focus on the
impact of linguistic research on our cognition and knowledge. We hope that its
leitmotif, “Linguistics matters: On the importance of the study of language in
the modern world”, will encourage discussion on all areas of linguistics,
providing evidence for the discipline's relevance for communication and
cognition on both a societal and individual level.

While we have already accepted more than 100 abstracts, proposals are welcome
for both individual papers and for workshop sessions around issues and
concepts that matter to/in linguistics (e.g., “word order matters”,
“individual variation matters”, “usage matters”, etc.). Plenary speakers of
past PLMs will participate in the PLM2021 Grand Debate on the leitmotif of the
conference. There will also be other events reflecting the special character
of this 50th edition of one of Europe's leading linguistics conferences.

The form of the meeting – online or onsite – will be decided depending on the
epidemiological situation in the second quarter of 2021, and predictions for
the third quarter available at that time. We hope to be able to meet all of
our linguist friends face-to-face after the hiatus of 2020!

Plenary Events:
The keynote address will be given by Ian Maddieson (University of New Mexico)

Plenary speakers:
Martine Robbeets (Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History)
Joanna Pawelczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań)
Charles B. Chang (Boston University)

Grand Debate:
Over several recent editions, PLM has developed a tradition of the plenary
speakers debating on topics related to each year's leitmotif. To make the
debate even more special for the jubilee edition, we have decided to extend an
invitation to participate in it to our past plenary speakers. We think we are
justified in hoping for an in-depth and stimulating discussion on the
importance of linguistics today. Prospective participants include Dennis
Preston, Nikolaus Ritt, Przemysław Tajsner, Tobias Scheer, Marzena Żygis,
Sarah Hawkins and Eugeniusz Cyran.

Thematic Sessions:
Three thematic sessions and a workshop are planned:
- Inclusive linguistic research matters: Underrepresented populations,
unexplored contexts, and emerging types of data (convened by Bartosz Brzoza
and Anita Wagner)
- Word order matters (convened by Jacek Witkoś and Przemysław Tajsner)
- Discourse and terminology matters: Investigating specialized communication
and translation (convened by Magdalena Perdek and Magdalena Zabielska)
- Surfing the Brainwaves workshop (conducted by Rafał Jończyk)

There will also be a session in memory of Jacek Fisiak (1936–2019), a Great
Returns sessions reuniting eminent linguists who graduated from Poznan, and a
PhD Project Poster Session.

Call for Papers:

Submissions:

Please visit our website for more detailed abstract submission guidelines,
along with abstract review criteria.

Important Dates:
- Submission deadline for thematic session proposals: 15 January 2021
- Notification of acceptance for thematic sessions: 31 January 2021
- Submission deadline for general session abstracts (oral and poster
sessions): 28 February 2021
- (Individual thematic and special sessions may have their own deadlines)
- Notification of acceptance: April 2021

PLM2021 Organising Committee:
Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk
Jarosław Weckwerth
Bartosz Brzoza