31.3893, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Analytical Linguist, Grammarly

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 16 21:22:17 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3893. Wed Dec 16 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3893, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Analytical Linguist, Grammarly

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:21:48
From: Courtney Napoles [courtney.napoles at grammarly.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Analytical Linguist, Grammarly, San Francisco, California, USA

University or Organization: Grammarly
Job Location: California, USA
Job Title: Analytical Linguist
Job Rank: Analytical Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they
communicate. More than 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered
writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in
a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.

To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Analytical Linguist to
join our NLP team in San Francisco. We use a combination of machine learning,
deep learning, and pattern-based methods to drive our high-quality writing
feedback. Linguists are essential to improving the quality of our checks,
developing training and evaluation sets, and conducting user experiments. The
team you will be partnering with is critical to advance Grammarly’s data-based
approaches.

Your impact:
- Work on mission-critical NLP research and product tasks (e.g., designing
annotation guidelines, annotating content, performing data quality control).
- Evolve and prioritize ongoing working processes associated with our data and
annotation needs (i.e., annotation guideline development, data development,
etc.).
- Work with product teams to improve the feedback we provide to our users
(e.g., problem-solve where to focus product improvement efforts, oversee
portions of our annotation projects with external vendors).

We're looking for someone who:
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and
remarkable.
- Has a bachelor’s or master’s degree—or holds a Ph.D—in linguistics.
- Is a team player who enjoys linguistic annotation, evaluation, and data
quality work.
- Speaks and writes English fluently, with an excellent grasp of English
grammar and communication.
- Is positive, organized, and detail-oriented.

Bonus points if you have:
- At least two years of industry experience as an Analytical Linguist.
- Experience with scripting languages (preferably Python) in a Linux
environment.
- Experience with research processes and qualitative and quantitative
approaches.
- Experience with crowdsourcing and/or vendor management.

Support for you, professionally and personally:
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members
autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with
training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we
apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture
supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues
and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay
along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also
offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation
stipends, admission discounts, and more.

We encourage you to apply:
We value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose
identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender
expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age,
marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic
protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal
histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal
E-Verify program.

Please submit your application to our website found at the application link
provided below.

Web Address for Applications: https://grnh.se/ddbb74d01us
Contact Information:
	Courtney Napoles